Finally had to register | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finally had to register

59huskyss

Reaction score
Have been visiting this site for approx. 1 1/2 years enjoying the shared experiences and advice. Also often visit just to straighten out my attitude about a vehicle that is undoubtedly the most costly, high maintenance I have had in 24 years of driving. The enthusiasm that this sites members have for thier Explorers is pretty unique.
My latest ordeal began 2 days ago with my wife calling me at work to say she was stranded, the Explorer would not start it would only click. Someone had helped her try to jump start it but still it just clicked. Since it was pretty cold that day -6 F windchill and it was facing into the north wind I just picked her up leaving the Explorer overnight. Yesterday I went back and tried to start it myself. Like she said it only clicked which was the sound of the relay up near the battery. I trailered it home stopping at a parts house on the way to pick up a starter. Got home disconnected the battery and replaced the starter which by the way was the easiest repair I have ever made to this car, hooked up the battery and attempted to start it. The engine cranked like crazy but did not start? I was then lost as to what or why except, could that good samaritan that attempted to jump start it have accidentally shorted something? All I could think of to do was check for a blown fuse which I did and found none. Next for lack of nowing what else to do I disconnected the air intake tube and sprayed some starting fluid in, the car then started and ran fine but when stopped was hard to restart and still is. Today I put some ethyl alcohol and STP fuel treatment in the gas tank along with the about 4 gallons of gas it took to fill up. It is starting easier today than yesterday but still not right. For now I'm out of ideas so I'm off to the Message Board to see what I can find there.
Thank you for a very helpful and inspiring website!

Welcome to the site Scott!

I was coming here for a while before I registered too. Sorry to hear about your Explorer troubles. I've had some rather expensive, little repairs on my truck, but it's worth paying for in my opinion. It's a good truck. Not sure about your starter situation, but if you through a post over in Under the Hood, I'm sure you will definately get some good answers over there. It never fails to surprise me the amount of collective experience and knowledge we have on the site, not to mention the great people who are always willing to help you out! Glad to see you joined us, welcome and happy posting bud. Hope you are able to get everything worked out with your starter!

Back