Finally lowered, suspension upgrade complete (pics) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finally lowered, suspension upgrade complete (pics)

I will call EE tomorrow and see if they'll sell me just the front bar. If they agree, I will go ahead and get the front end links with the poly bushings.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by 98FordX24
Are you gonna get running boards or anything? If you got running boards it will look even lower. After I lowered mine and took off my running boards to have them painted, it looked like my truck was lifted.

I thought about getting a set of EB flares from a 97, then having them painted black to match the body. But, that is a lot of money right now, and I have to slow it down a bit. Plus, I'm looking into a 99 style bumper with an EE airdam. :D

Originally posted by 98FordX24

They really help with taking turns faster? Are they hard to put in?

Flater turns, which translates into faster. They really make the truck FUN to drive; major improvement.

Originally posted by aldive
Flater turns, which translates into faster. They really make the truck FUN to drive; major improvement.
You talked me into it. ;)

Any other places to buy them besides EE?

AutoZone has started to sell Energy Suspension parts. Are end links universal?

Also, none of the Daystar kits would really suit me.

Ok, I need to find a way to tighten up the front suspension. When I take a turn at a moderately fast speed, my tires rub on the upper a-arm. I'm going to grind a little more off the a-arm, and get an EE front sway bar with poly bushings and end links, I'm hoping that will tighten up the front enough to eliminate the rubbing.

I'm taking some more pics today, so stay tuned.

take some pics of where you are rubbing.

I'm not rubbing during normal driving, only when I take sharp turns. The body seems to shift momentum towards the opposite direction of the turn, thus causing the upper a-arm to rub the tire opposite the turn. It's like I have body roll up front, but the rear is real tight.

hartman, looks real good. i cant wait til you got pics of your tinted taillights. those should look real good.

Check my thread about the lense tinting, there are pics of my tails there. Dead Link Removed

Hey, looks great! I've been wondering about the front bar on my 96. EE says that the 98's have the solid bar. Anyone know if the 98 bar with retrofit to the 96 front end? It doesn't look like there is any difference, but it doesn't take much to ruin a relaxing day in the shop.

DH-

That looks good!!!

Is your truck sitting level from left to right?
I'm wondering because I still can't get mine level unless I pull one of the bars and re-time it.

frank... explain into more detail why you can't get yours level... maybe i can help

my front tires rub as well... i have the 3/8" spacers and they'll still rub at full turn when i'm navigating parking lots and such.

i heard that the saleen front sway bar doesn't rub with these wider tires that we're all running. does anyone know if this is true?

my stock tires don't rub :) :)

98greyxlt... you are rubbing on the sway bar? You sure the rim isnt rubbing on the lower a-arm? A few members as well as myself have that problem with being lowered and running cobra r's. Yes, the saleen sway bar does have a bend in it that might help you out if that is your problem.

hmm, i always assumed that i was rubbing on the front sway bar, but i guess i should double check that it's not actually the lower A arm.

yeah, check the inner lip of the rim right where the tire bead is. If it is rubbing there its hitting the back side of the lower a-arm. Eventually, I will be taking off the steering stoppers and putting in something bigger. I tried spacers but almost died.

chris,

what do you mean, "almost died"???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, almost died. That pretty much says it. On one wheel, all 5 lugs came loose. The other wheel, 3 out of 5 lugs nuts were stripped and the others were loose. This was only after driving 2 or 3 miles. They were 5/16" spacers. I torqued the lugs to 90 ft lbs. I started to hear a thumping while I was going down the road. I was only on the test drive with these and wasnt far from home and that is what I found when I got home.

Anyone who wants to buy a set of 5/16" spacers email me... if you dare...

Back