Finally poting in the Registry! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finally poting in the Registry!

Finally posting in the "Elite" Registry!

Haven't done this as of yet, so I figured now is the time.
You can see some pictures right now if you look in my photo gallery under my Avitar.
This is what my little girl has as of right now:
6" Skyjacker Class II lift With SOA in the rear
Rancho 9000's on 3 corners
Rancho 9000X on passenger side front. (long story)
1.5" F-150 Coil spacers from a '97 2wd
Upper coil spring retainers from JBG
(after my spring popped out on a wheeling trip and ripped up my brake line)
Explorer Pro Comp Add A Leaf for the rear
33x12.50-15 BFG AT KO's
Rear ARB with "Genuine Gear" 4.56's
Dutchman Alloy axles for the 8.8
Front Lock Right with 4.56's (bought from members on this site)
Manual Hubs
Skyjaker Steering Stabilizer
"Reylek"front sway bar quick disconnects
Stock Drive Train
ARB Air Compressor (of course)
KKM Tru Rev Sport Induction Kit
Flowmaster Force II cat back system
Surco Safari rack with tire mount
Winch Mount Bumper which I got from -=DAEMON=- who got it from Rick H.
Off road lights from Auto Zone
Custom light tabs from ACE Hardware.
Superunner steering from "Hammer"
Radio shack CB with remote speaker and radio shack antenna mounted on Surco safari rack
Custom "A.R" tube doors!
Custom "A.R." rock sliders!

The whole mod bug started for me when I was stationed in Alaska at Eielson AFB near Fairbanks.

I bought an 83 Bronco in February of 2000, and modded the engine slightly. It was already lifted with 33's, but was a B#tch to keep running. It also was very stinky. (bad combustion). With a baby on the way, I wanted to get rid of the bronco and get something more reliable and with more doors to get the baby in and out. So, I got my 91 Explorer. I think we paid a lot for it at the time, but it was well taken care of.
I wanted to start doing mods to it right away, to get some more power out of it, and to get a little better gas mileage. While searching on the web (the only way to shop in Alaska) I found this site. After that, I was hooked!
I started with the exhaust, since the stock one was all rusted out. I bought the Flowmaster Cat back system, and when that was put on, it sounded mean, and I wanted to do more. so next was the KKM Kit. It installed really easilly and gave the explorer that mean throaty sound I was looking for.
A few weeks went by (my wife thinks minutes) and I wanted to do more. After I got a superchip, and figured my engine/performance mods were done, I wanted to go higher. Since the Explorer was my daily driver, I didn't want to go too high. I settled with a 2" suspension lift which came with just add a leafs and longer springs.
That was nice for a while, but I always dreamed big!

About a year and a half after researching this site and getting opinions from everyone I could, I went for the gusto. I ordered the lift. My 6" skyjacker class II.
It was much easier to justify now, since our daily driver went from the explorer to a 96 Tahoe (which we no longer own).
It took me about 40 hours of labor with only hand tools and an angle grinder, but I got that lift on. I was so happy with the results, that it has the same lift today.
The only slight mods I have done to the lift is put in some F-150 spacers in the front and add a leaf in the rear just for a little more clearance.
I rode around with just these mods, since I knew I wouldn't be in Alaska for ever. I wanted to wait till I got back to the "Lower 48" before I did Lockers and gears. I just didn't want to pay the shipping.
About another year and a half later, I found out that I would be moving to Tucson, Arizona!! Hooray!!

After being in Airzona for about 4 months, I had my gears in and my lockers. Now I was ready to wheel with the "big dawgs".

The most recent mod was putting on the superunner steering which I bought from "Hammer". I decided on this after seeing others with it at Truckhaven and getting their opinions on it. I Love it!
Well, I finally got a welder, and I built some tube doors and some sliders. Next is a bumper and some bigger meats!

My future mods include
1. Buying a welder (check!)
2. fabbing up some rock sliders (check!)
3. Fabbing up a rear bumper with a tire mount
4. mounting up some 35" tires. (probably MTR's)

I hope to go on many more wheeling trips with the "Explorer" group.

I now live in Tucson, Arizona (the best state in the Union).
You can reach me at tucsonreyleks@cox.net
Thank you

Andy Reylek
In my driveway waiting to go wheeling. (Notice my new winch mount bumper).
6427P1000870.jpg

My favorite wheeling spot. (Chivo falls) Pre superunner steering as you can tell.
6427P1010036.jpg

My pose out at Truckhaven
6427avitar.jpg

My superunner steering
6427P1010059.jpg

6427P1010060.jpg

My new sliders:
6427P1010133.jpg

6427P1010137.jpg

Attachments

• P1010109.JPG
    P1010109.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 461
  • P1010110.JPG
    P1010110.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 305

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

(the best state in the union)

I see how you are!! You leave Alaska and now Arizona is the best. So I guess where ever you are is the best place to be at that time.

So I guess you are enjoying being back in the lower 48 now. I read a few posts of you wheelin with others down there. Do you like the wheelin better there? Not so boggy as up here huh!

I love it down here. Rocks are so much more fun than MUCK!
Go to www.arcticoffroad.com and you will see what I mean. Look in past runs under the forum.

Yeah, I am finally getting my ARB put in on Monday along with my 4.56's
The front 4.56's with the lock right will go in at a later time (when I have some).

I finally got my coil retainers put in, and my brake lines are a little longer. They should be good now!
So you are going to Moab in October? I wish I could go, but I have too much going on.

Have fun.

Later,

Andy

Show me some pics of the coil retainers.

No I'm not going to Moab now. I busted 4 teeth on my rear pinion gear somehow. I don't have the time or money to address both the rear and the tranny before Moab. I am really dissapointed. I was thinking about going to Truckhaven but since its in January thats out with winter in full force up here. I can't wait until next October for Moab. So I think I will have to see if I can convince some guys to make a Spring Moab trip with me.

Now aren't you glad you didn't sell your Explorer before leaving Alaska.

Sorry, this is not the place but I'd love to make a spring MOAB trip. The wife and I were just talking about that this morning.

Oh really well then that may be 2 of us. I'm sure we could get others.

Originally posted by AlaskanJack
I busted 4 teeth on my rear pinion gear somehow

Probably because you have 5.13's and 35's. those things get a little weaker the lower the gears go.
Good luck fixin' em though. Any Lockers yet? My next post I will show the retainers. They are from a full size 80-96 Ford Coil sprung TTB.

Andy

Coil Retainers

Here they are.
Passenger side

Attachments

• p1000872.jpg
    p1000872.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 639

Drivers Side

Drivers Side

Attachments

• p1000873.jpg
    p1000873.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 640

Originally posted by Blaine122300
Probably because you have 5.13's and 35's. those things get a little weaker the lower the gears go.
Good luck fixin' em though. Any Lockers yet? My next post I will show the retainers. They are from a full size 80-96 Ford Coil sprung TTB.

Andy

Well actually I discovered that I had 4.10's with an Auburn LS in the rear to my dissapointment. No lockers yet. I am in discussion with someone at the moment to buy hs 77 Early Bronco drivetrain to include d44 front axle, 9" rear, c4 tranny, D20 t-case and the 302 engine $900

Sweet looking truck man! Keep it up!

btt

Back