• Register Today It's free!

Finally Registered...

Bulldozer

Reaction score
City, State
Calimesa, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer 4x4
Hey guys, My name's Casey, I've been reading the forum for a couple months now and finally decided to register.

Back in August I bought a White 93 4x4 Explorer :navajo: with an auto trans and 190K miles.
The trans is basically shot (I knew this going in) and the truck is all stock. I've just been working on getting it all caught up on maintenance and I'll be replacing the trans soon.

My plans are to build it as an offroad/adventure vehicle, capable of doing some tough trails but also able to go decently fast in the desert. Eventually I'd like to go d44 front, cut n turn with coilovers etc, and a 9" rear with deavers and a cantilever setup. Caged front to rear, 35" tires etc.

Anyhow, I won't ramble on too long but thanks for having me :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey dude, welcome. What's your transmission doing that makes you think it is kaput?

Hey dude, welcome. What's your transmission doing that makes you think it is kaput?

Thanks!
Unfortunately it won't shift out of first when cold, (I know this is the governor and I have already sourced a new one for the replacement trans), Also it makes a strange whurring noise whenever stopped in gear. Won't shift into OD, all gears are slow to engage then engage hard. I flushed the fluid and changed the filter and the fluid was burnt, completely black and the pan and filter were full of tiny metal particles, I'd say it's pretty well toast. LOL

Welcome to this forum! Check the sticky threads on the top of the transmission section.
I will, thanks !

I see. Well, the OD could be a few things that are easily fixable. For instance the solenoid is likely plugged with crap if there was crap in the pan. If you are going to do a rebuild why not rebuild your VB first and see if your problems are due to fluid contamination, er... contaminating your VB? You will need a rebuilt VB either way. I agree with the governor problem, if your fluid was very dark then you could be totally right. Best to rebuild before it blows completely thought...

Welcome, the 91-94 section is LOADED with info, and random questions... :)

Not saying that this entire site isn't full of info... cause it is.... just pointing you to the right place.

If you have a question, try searching first because it's likely it's been done or answered before.

Again.... welcome.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Wood, I'm actually going to try my luck with a junkyard trans, they are about $180 with a 90 day warranty and I could literally find 50+ around here in the yards any given day. It sounds like most people have so problems with rebuilds, so I'm just gonna snatch a low mileage trans from an ex with body damage and cross my fingers.

Sure would make it easier to spot a low mileage one if our odometers had a 100K digit though LOL

Sure would make it easier to spot a low mileage one if our odometers had a 100K digit though LOL

Look for a 94... a lot if not most had a 6 digit odometer.

My 92 has one now from a 94 reflecting the correct mileage as found thru a vehicle history report.

The next best way would be to look at the brake pedal (plastic) for wear... the less the better. This was suggested by this forum once to tell mileage.

Yeah good advice, look at the brake pedal, the seats and carpet under the pedals. Once you get your transmission consider rebuilding the valve body. It will make it shift quicker, increase line pressure, generally make it work better and last much longer.

Back