Finished Meguiar's 3 step... Zaino? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finished Meguiar's 3 step... Zaino?

I just did the three step Meguiars (1. Clean, 2. polish, 3. carnauba wax)

It looks pretty good but I hear its not that long lasting.

I dont HAVE to have the xtreme shine I really just NEED wax on there that will protect it for a year since I am in college.

If I buy the zaino and put it all will the MANY HOURS I spent on this 3 step Meguair's be waisted?

Should I just go buy the turtle wax that claims 1 wax a year and put it over this?

I go to school at texas a&m (near houston) and it is hot and high uv rays. Also will have to park outside all day.
Im not going to have any time or place to wax my car at all so I want to get a solid wax on there before I leave to last me until next summer.

Am I alright with this carnuaba wax or will it just last a couple months?

THANKS!
Grant

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Refer to the Zymol post, these are "the Zymol" products that are light years ahead of the Zymol products that are store bought. I used both lines and the "mail order" line is way better.

Jay

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Zaino on red...

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Over waxing is really an urban myth IMO. Most waxes have a very mild cleaner in them to prevent wax buildup. Even the most durable of waxes will be gone in about three months, usually less.

If you only want to do it once per year a polymer sealant like Zaino or Klasse is the way to go. Your polish and wax steps will be for not, but the paint cleaning you did will still be a benefit.

Zaino is a POLISH. Have you ever seen Griot's products? If I had a digital camera mine would be just AS shiny.

Wax still causes buildup. You can put all of the additives in that you want, carnauba is carnauba (the more additives that ARE IN a wax, I won't buy it).

Jay

PS - Have figured it out that you ARE comparing Apples to Oranges, and NOT Apples to Apples?

Zaino is called a polish, but it is not a polish in the traditional meaning of the word. Zanio is a polymer sealant that bonds with the paint for long lasting protection. Polishes used in a traditional three-step system are mainly oils and fillers that both hide swirls and give paint the "wet" look. A wax is needed to seal the polish in.

Were I to polish and then wash, the polish would be removed. Zaino is not removed when washing.

I am comparing apples to apples. The comparison is between looks and durability. Zaino wins. It’s my preference. I use Meguiars products such as the Dual Action Cleaner Polish, Swirl Free Polish, Machine Glaze, Speed Glaze, Show Car Glaze, #26 Hi-Tech Yellow, Medallion Paint Protectant, #20 Polymer Sealant, SMR 2.0, and on and on. Each product has its place and I use them all. Zanio is on my truck.

Please educate yourself before attacking. Ignorance is not pretty, and I did not say one was better than anything else. I simply showed my results for others to see.

Very nice shine laynlow....made me a believer....especailly seeing that it's a 97....I will put my 95 to the test.

I wasn't attacking. You did. Live by sword, you died by it.

Attack someone else. I could put a grocery list of the products I have used.

As we we're saying. Al, comments?

Jay

Originally posted by FORDisKING
I wasn't attacking. You did. Live by sword, you died by it.

Jay

Originally posted by FORDisKING
Wax still causes buildup.

"Never argue with a moron, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." :rolleyes:

I'm through with this forum goodbye, and kiss it Okie!

Jay

Enjoy your lives.

Originally posted by laynlow

"Never argue with a moron, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." :rolleyes:

Laynlow, this forum is for discussion on wax, not to call others names.
Please keep your smart remarks to yourself. If you have something to input to the discussion without calling people names then that's O.K. but there is no reason for name calling. If you have any questions about this please P.M. me.......

I have talked to people in the body business that say there is no reason to put wax on. What do you all think of that??????

Remember most of the newer vehicles have clear coats on them so you never are getting close to the color of the paint. I can show you pictures of my Explorer that look just as shiny and the only thing I do to mine is keep it washed. Like someone else said there are kinds of things out there that say they will work and sure if they bead off the rain then they are doing some good.
Most clears now aren't affected by the UV's if I remember, I know our minivan sets outside all day and the only thing I've done to it is keep it washed and cleaned and the paint in over 10 years old.

What I can't figure is why people want there 4X4 looking so shiny????? Don't you suppose to be out playing in the muc??? If I was worried about getting mine dirty, then I would have a 2 wheel drive car. Just my .02 cents.

First off, to answer the thread topic...

That is a mistake. Putting Zaino over a wax is akin to applying an exotic high quality finish paint over a $1/can Walmart primer. Forget it.

I don't think I have joined a Zaino thread in over a year. My '99 Eddie Bauer Explorer is finding much more action in places that provide so much trail pinstriping and damage that I am way beyond worrying about splitting hairs on waxing issues. However, here is one of my posts from an earlier thread (found by a really neat feature we have on this site called "search" :) ) :
====================
"The waxes you use don't last because they are a wax (ie; plant extracts, etc). Especially here in the Texas sun a carnuba or wax finish will melt off in days.

This stuff is NOT a wax. You can work and work and work your wax finish and get one that will almost equal Zaino and not be able to tell the difference, but it will be gone soon thereafter. Zaino lasts MONTHS. It is some sort of polymer or something else that chemically bonds to the surface. I put about three coats on last Halloween, drove it (can't remember exactly, but about 10,000-15,000 miles) through the winter, including a couple of nasty winter storms on trips from New Mexico to Tennessee, plus all the road grime that comes with all those miles, took it fourwheeling every month, didn't get around to reapplying the Zaino until the spring and when I washed and chamois'd my Explorer it STILL had the shine.

Do THAT with Meguilar's."
===========================
In Texas, NO "wax" lasts long in the summer. In that heat any wax melts within two weeks, period, no matter the brand or quality. I applied Zaino per instructions and then totally abused the finish via ongoing neglect for SEVERAL MONTHS and added the extra killers mentioned in the post above.

After all of that, when I finally cleaned my Explorer, I placed a sportsbottle of water on my back bumper and could read the fine print (about 8 pt font) on its back label by its reflection against my tailgate while standing back. Wax your vehicle right now, ignore it, drive it 15,000 miles through this winter, visit a few other states and drive through winter storms, icing issues, road salt, etc etc etc; wait until next April, then put a sportsbottle of water on your rear bumper and photo it and read the fine print on its backside that is reflected in the mirror of your rear liftgate, and tell me how you do. Then repeat the experiment in the summer in 100+ degree weather when carnuba lasts about - oops, never mind, it's already melted today.

Now, I'm not gonna get in any further argument over nitpickers on this thread, but I can absolutely guarandamntee you that I don't care whether a product is classified as a "wax" or "polish" or "finish" or whatever other Clintonesque definition you guys wish to quibble on: Zaino rocks, and will WAY outlast ANY wax; period.

All of us have opinions; so be it. Enjoy yourself. If you prefer using a high quality carnuba or other product for next weekend's local autoshow, have a great time. Many of us enjoy working on our vehicles whether they need it or not just because we want to, and waxing is no different. I happen to be one of those people who does not enjoy waxing and would rather spend my time doing something else instead, so I see no need to have to constantly rewax when there is a product out there that produces a superior finish and also lasts so incredibly long that it allows me not to need to reapply it all the time.

I want to make clear that I have nothing to do with Zaino and I have no grievance against other waxes. I am merely offering my own opinion borne of my own experience. Do what you want and keep the opinions you have; I don't care.

Uh... Who wants to come wax/polish/polymer my truck so it can be shiny too? :)

Al, Gerald, you guys got me thinking so I checked out their site. I'm sold, I'm gonna order some of this stuff in the near future. I was gonna clay bar my truck and make it shine sometime soon anyways, good thing I read this thread so I'd get the good stuff to use.

Quick question for one of you Zaino users:
What about deep scratches? It says Z5 will take out light scratches and swirls, but I've got a couple of deep ones. Will multiple coats get them out? Or should I try to buff them out with some scratch remover before using the Zaino products?

yob,

You will need to use a scratch remover or swirl remover for any moderate to severe swirls. I would suggest something like Meguiars Dual Action Cleaner Polish (if severe) followed by their Swirl Free Polish. If they are not that bad then something like 3M's Swirl Mark Remover or Meguiars Swirl Mark Remover should do the trick. Don't forget to wash the truck with Dawn dishwashing liquid after claying and swirl/scratch removal. Zaino needs a clean surface free from the oils in these products.

The Z5's swirl filling abilities are mild at best. It will fill very light swirls though. Repeated applications help. IMO the biggest difference between Z5 and Z2 is how they react on different colored cars. Z5 looks better on dark colored cars, and Z2 looks great on light colored cars. The difference is very subtle though. :cool:

My truck is mainly Z5. ;)

John, here's a link where I discussed 3M's Foam Pad Polish. The stuff works great for trail pinstriping and swirl removal.

Dead Link Removed

John, if you want to know anything...I mean anything about detailing, go to this website:

http://autopia.ws

They are the detailing gurus and they have an answer for everything. I'm a member on that board and learned sooo much stuff from them.

Anyways...back to the subject. I looked at the Zaino site and once I figured out what I need to get, the bill is like $80. So I got the Klasse system with 2 mincrofiber applicators for $50 including shipping. Anyways...that stuff is amazing. The paint looked soooo deep you can virtually dive into it. But Klasse is an alternative. Both Zaino and Klasse are about the same so it's up to you.

Here're some pics of my car after Klasse treatment:

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Wax??? I did that once. It really didn't take care of any of my scratches though... :(

ryantip1.jpg

you need to get some zaino on that puppy. get those scratches right out rpenner54. never tried zaino or zymol or whatever all that stuff is. it is a polymer, and not caranuba, so it bonds to the surface differently than caranuba based waxes. has anyone tried after applying that synthetic stuff applying a coat of caranuba wax? just wondering. as for me i use meguiars high end cleaners, polishes, and waxes. work great for what i need. no swirl marks, and i apply 7 coats of wax every time. no hazing, and it lasts a bit longer. also the wax acts in my opinion as a "second" clear coat, so when you get pinstriping by trees and other objects, the scratches will buff right out since it's scratching the wax and not the clear coat. just my 7 1/2 cents.

Blue Steel,

Lots of folks like to top with a wax. They feel it gives them the best of both worlds. The durability of a polymer and the deep wet look of wax.

I love to use AIO and 3-5 coats of SG then topping off with a coat of S100. I don't know if I should put 2 or 3 coats of S100? Is it a waste?

Check this site out...Dead Link Removed

Back