First Gen Transmission Wiring Harness Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

First Gen Transmission Wiring Harness Problem

SuddenDeath

Reaction score
City, State
Mays Landing, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
Hey guys. I recently started an A4LD/M5OD swap that has so far gone pretty smoothly. Pedals were a pain, etc, etc. I wanted to swap the wiring harnesses for the transmissions so this swap was "done right" and I already swapped the computers. However it seems like the transmission wiring harness also connects to the engine block someplace down near the oil pan? Its not just a little plastic clip thats holding it there, it's a plug that one of the wires connects to. Is this part of the trans wiring harness? Or is this just another wire that ford decided to bundle into the wire bundle?

Thanks in advance.

The transmission harness has the low oil warning light wire in it and I believe one other sensor on the motor cant remember for sure. Just pull it all off when you swap the harnesses. It has 2 plugs on the driver inner fender for it.

Update: The Transmission wiring harness is connected not only to the trans, but to three other sensors. One on the front of the block that I think is the tach, one on the bottom rear of the block by the starter, and one that looks like a little canister in the middle of the intake...I think its a canister purge valve or somesuch. I snapped the plastic T that is on it.

Anyway. New problem. I snapped the plastic master cylinder pushrod when I tried to bleed the clutch. Effing plastic. And the truck stalled the second I tried to start it, even in neutral. Any ideas? Would the canister purge valve stall the truck if it's not connected?

Back