First Generation Explorer Gear / Differential Oil | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

First Generation Explorer Gear / Differential Oil

crivas13

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Limited
First Generation Explorer Gear / Differential Fluid ?

Hi,

I have a 2 Wheel Drive 94 Explorer with the D4 3.73 Axle, what kind of fluid do i use to change the rear differential fluid. The manual says Hypoid Gear Lubricant Part # XY-90-QL or E0AZ-19580-A Ford Specification ESP-M2C154-A. Whats the difference between the two. Is it synthetic or dino?

Thanks,
Carlos

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dunno about part #s, but Ford does have both synthetic and dino gear oil. The synthetic from the dealer is like $17 a quart, and you usually need about 2.5 qts. I think. The oil is something crazy like 85w140.

Thanks Alec, i just found another Dead Link Removed that said i need Motorcraft SAE 80W90 Premium Rear Axle Lube. I think i will use Valvoline 80W90 Durablend and the 4oz of the Ford friction modifier. Will the Valvoline stuff be alright?

Thanks,
Carlos

carlos, you should be fine

Well i finally got around to it and did it this afternoon. I got 3 quarts of Mobil 1 Synthetic 75W-90 Gear Oil $6.99 each at Autozone and used a suction gun. I had to use a smaller hose and kind of tape it to the suction gun because the hose wouldnt fit through the hole and past the gears. It was a pain. I also added the 4oz. of the ford friction modifier to the second quart as i was adding it. I have a quetions i've read that it usually takes about 2.5 quarts since its 5.3 pint capacity. But mine took all three quarts and it still didnt get to the spilling point. I put my finger in there and could feel the oil but i didnt overspill. Also i drove it around tonight and will check the level again tomorrow. Should i buy another bottle and add more until it spills?

Thanks,
Carlos

Originally posted by crivas13
. I also added the 4oz. of the ford friction modifier to the second quart as i was adding it.

With the Mobile 1, you did not need the friction modifier.

Is having it in there gonna hurt anything?

Carlos

The friction modifier will not cause any problems.

Back