Fix it or leave it?

zxgto06

Reaction score
City, State
pittsburgh pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Mountaineer
Hey guys
I have a 2002 mountaineer with 98,000 miles on it. I can hear the timing chain rattle a little bit at idle and at part throttle at around 2-3k rpm. Not very loud tho and when I first change the oil it almost goes away. What would cause that? Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the guides start to break and the chain rattles...you should replace it...if the timing chain breaks you will blow the motor and need to replace the motor itself...theres more guys on here with more info to give you,...try to search for the threads with the timing chain problems...

my brother inlaw had that on his 04 mountaineer and within a month needed a new engine.

I would fix it. You'll get more use and money out of it if you fix the TC tensioner.

What tensioners usually go on the 02s. Didn't they upgrade a bunch of stuff on the 02 and later 4.0s?

What tensioners usually go on the 02s. Didn't they upgrade a bunch of stuff on the 02 and later 4.0s?

Not sure. My 05 is starting to rattle a little bit.

im just goin to order all the guides and tensioners and change them all i guess

My 06' has the rattle. It sounds like it is coming from the front chains. listening through the wheel well I can only hear the noise at the front of the engine the rear chain seems to be quiet (Thank gawd). Since I have an extended warranty and the chains should be covered it is going into the dealer this week to get it taken care of. I have 48K miles on mine.

Back