• Register Today It's free!

Fixing A Pillar rattle yourself

jfij3165

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
I have a 2011 Explorer that started rattling/buzzing/whipping in the A pillar at about 40,000 miles. I know many people have had this problem and have had it fixed by the dealer. Well unfortunately the Dealer won't cover my repair under my extended warranty. They want $275 to replace the gasket kit. Has anyone tried to fix it themselves? If so, how difficult was the job? With so many people having this problem, why wasn't there a recall by Ford so we don't have to go thru this and pay for their mistake!?

I have a 2011 Explorer that started rattling/buzzing/whipping in the A pillar at about 40,000 miles. I know many people have had this problem and have had it fixed by the dealer. Well unfortunately the Dealer won't cover my repair under my extended warranty. They want $275 to replace the gasket kit. Has anyone tried to fix it themselves? If so, how difficult was the job? With so many people having this problem, why wasn't there a recall by Ford so we don't have to go thru this and pay for their mistake!?
There was no recall on that problem but Ford did issue a TSB on it. Unfortunately the TSB carries the following statement; 2011-2012 Explorer vehicles built on or before 11/21/2011. Some members who thought they had the same problem found out it was actually the cowl, that plastic piece that runs along the bottom of the windshield, that was making the noise.
I'm not aware of anyone ordering a kit and doing the work themselves. There are small plastic clips that hold things together and there is a good chance one or more will break when removing the plastic cover. New clips were a late addition to the repair package.

Peter

Back