flat black body paint? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

flat black body paint?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

orbit sand with either 320 or 400 grit paper. make sure you get all your edges (like trim, door locks for an example). if you don't, and have shiny parts (like places that didn't get sanded, they can be dull but not shinny) after a few months the paint will peal away in that spot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im sprayin my entire explorer flat black with spray cans rustoleom paint. IM just sanding done the paint to make it look dull, then painting over top,

whats the whole wet sanding between coats supposed to do?

i dont know if im going to put a clear over top yet or not. All i know is my entire explorer in and out is going to be flat black

nope, you don't need to sand in between coats, or wet sand. you would only need to sand if it has sat for awhile (like a few days or more). wet sanding is only done if you want to make the top coat like glass (clear coat or enamel), remove any dirt, or orange peal

You will need a flat clear. Me and my buddy just finished a mustang in 2 tone flat black with flat silver and it has a flat clear on it. I will get the names of the material used (brands) tomorrow.
Offtopic, but it has a 460 bored out to a 514... drool...

i dont know if im going to put a clear over top yet or not. All i know is my entire explorer in and out is going to be flat black

you're gonna need a clear/top coat. if you leave it at just the base, it's gonna fade...in a matter of weeks/months... like nobody's business.

thats why i said hot hues makes a flate finish. gezz the more i look at this tread, the more i want to do my carpri in flat black. it too is getting the big block treatment, but a 429 will be going in

2e4ahbs.jpg

2en4vi1.jpg

429 is like 8 cylinders of damn sexy

hell, if you want flat black, why not just rattle can it with the walmart cans? i know it's a bunch of work, but it's cheap, and it'll give you the effect you want.

or primer black?

lots of ways to get it to look how you want and save money at the same time.

"That look like some doo-doo, son"

Back