• Register Today It's free!

fluid leak issue maybe?

tkd91

Reaction score
City, State
Cape May, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ex. XLT 4x4 4.6L V8
Hey guys, I need your opinion. I noticed today a damp area on my driver's side. Under along the trans pan I saw what looked like water. I felt it, it had no smell, it wasn't slick. To me it is water. My engine compartment is dry, interior is dry, fluids are all full. I looked under along the trans and the water was running down a harness. It's was just a dripping amount, I was running the ac this morning. This is four hours latter. Could that much Consedation build up?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys, I need your opinion. I noticed today a damp area on my driver's side. Under along the trans pan I saw what looked like water. I felt it, it had no smell, it wasn't slick. To me it is water. My engine compartment is dry, interior is dry, fluids are all full. I looked under along the trans and the water was running down a harness. It's was just a dripping amount, I was running the ac this morning. This is four hours latter. Could that much Consedation build up?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If the fluid on the driveway had no smell or color and felt like water, it was most likely water and I wouldn't worry about it. All the vehicle fluids have some sort of smell, color or oily feel to them. I see a small puddle of water under my vehicle nearly everyday, making me check it from time to time, under the same area as you just described. I think the water or condensation drains down from the roof of the truck and travels thru drain tubes and exits under the vehicle. I see it especially on cool nights when the dew point is low and condensation (water drops )builds up on the vehicle. The driveway will be dry, but they'll be that one spot of water under the vehicle as I back out of my parking spot. Your AC unit could be the source because it creates condensation as it runs, but probably not after being shut off for 4 hours.

That is what gets me. 4 hours later. I put a box under the dripping, and its water. The only thing I can think is that a lot of water got trapped under the wiper crowl.

if you have rear a/c it could be condensation build up on the pipes that got to the back of the truck

probably all it is, I'd put $20 on it:thumbsup:

if you have rear a/c it could be condensation build up on the pipes that got to the back of the truck
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I don't have rear AC and still get a small puddle of water under the vehicle in the same spot as "TKD91". Saw it again a few minutes ago when I ran out for some coffee. The truck was covered in water condensation from the cool overnight temp, especially the roof, but the entire driveway was bone dry except for the small puddle of water under the engine-tranny area. Haven't used my AC yet this year and the truck sat turned off in the driveway as of 2:30pm yesterday. The AC unit does create condensation though.

That is what gets me. 4 hours later. I put a box under the dripping, and its water. The only thing I can think is that a lot of water got trapped under the wiper crowl.
>>>>>>>>>>>>

I wouldn't worry about it then as long as it is water you see. Not sure, but there could be drains around the windshield cowl area as well. All the water that builds up there in wet weather has to go somewhere. I remember reading an old post from last year where someone mentioned the drain tubes for the moon roof area were leaking into his vehicle. The poster said the drain tubes should empty under the vehicle.

>>>>>>>>>>>>

I wouldn't worry about it then as long as it is water you see. Not sure, but there could be drains around the windshield cowl area as well. All the water that builds up there in wet weather has to go somewhere. I remember reading an old post from last year where someone mentioned the drain tubes for the moon roof area were leaking into his vehicle. The poster said the drain tubes should empty under the vehicle.

I also remember that post, because it was running inside along the B pillar. I didn't see anything today, and cleaned my crowl area out. SO i'm not going to worry, I know it was water. As long as its not coming inside, its good. :D

Back