• Register Today It's free!

Fluid pouring out bell housing

JJ Stag

Reaction score
City, State
King, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer XLT
2007 Ford Explorer XLT 2wd V6. Was driving home one day and the trans started dumping fuild from between the engine and bell housing the moment I got in the neighborhood I live in. Before this happened shifting was normal, didn't jerk or clunk in to gear, never had smell nor did it have any noise and no codes showing. This trans is the second one and has 90,000 miles on it, vehicle has 240,000. Any help would be great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The fluid could be engine oil coming from the main seal. First look at the fluid and determine if it is transmission fluid or engine oil. Transmission fliud might be a pinkish color if it isn't worn too much or brownish if it is somewhat worn. Engine oil would be amberish in color if it is newer and blackish if it is worn.

If it’s trans fluid, could be a converter, seal, or pump housing. Regardless, trans has to come out.

It's definitely trans fluid because of the smell and coloration. The guy I bought it from put the trans in himself. I have a feeling he didnt do any preventative maintenance on it or check anything before shoving the torque converter on and installing it. I'm hoping it's the pump or converter seal. If anything I'm trying to buy time so when I get my taxes back then I'll rebuild the trans. Engine sounds like clean no rattles no ticking and no knocking. Even now no abnormal sounds coming from the vehicle.

It's definitely trans fluid because of the smell and coloration. The guy I bought it from put the trans in himself. I have a feeling he didnt do any preventative maintenance on it or check anything before shoving the torque converter on and installing it. I'm hoping it's the pump or converter seal. If anything I'm trying to buy time so when I get my taxes back then I'll rebuild the trans. Engine sounds like clean no rattles no ticking and no knocking. Even now no abnormal sounds coming from the vehicle.
Drive it like a 90 year old woman going to church and it might last until you get your tax return.

Back