flywheel wont turn after installing new tranny on 95 explorer 4x4 4.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

flywheel wont turn after installing new tranny on 95 explorer 4x4 4.0

abel8a

Reaction score
City, State
Chula Vista California
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ford explorer 4x4
I installed a good used tranny but flywheel wont turn now, did torque converter slip out? also if anyone has a photo of torque converter for the 4r55e?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's a common problem for the torque converter to be removed and the input shaft falls out, it is picked up and put back in backwards which prevents the torque converter from going in all the way. Spline short end on input shaft goes into the trans. With converter properly installed the pilot should be 7/16 inside the face of the bell housing.

how do you remove the input shaft, because the one in my tranny wont even move at all

It is jammed in there from installing incorrectly. The splines on each end look the same but are different, that's why the short spline end goes in the trans. You may be able to get it out by carefully clamping a vice grip on the spline and tapping on the back side with a hammer, I have done this and the shaft came out.

thank you, I will work on it this weekend, I will let you know what happened.

ok, no luck with vise grip, it is very much stuck in there, I think since I I had put the tranny in all the way, it must of pushed the input shaft all the way in, any other helpfull ideas

Did you clamp the vice grip on very tight and tap on the back side towards removing it. If that doesn't work, it has to come apart.

Abel8a,

Just a tip for the future. Any time you put any engine transmission combo together reach inside the bellhousing and rock the converter studs \ bolts back and forth before pulling the 2 parts togther tight. That way you are sure that there is no binding going on before you have everything assembled. On an automatic transmission if you can rock them them around and have a little end play (Front to Back) your good to go.

I know what you are going through. I've done it myself before.

Back