Fog light and off road lights question. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fog light and off road lights question.

mlcase27

Reaction score
City, State
lagrange indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt
I have 2 baja fog lights on the bumper and 2 on the roof rack for off road lights. My question is can anyone tell me were the best place to hot wire them too? I had them hooked directly to the battery but my brother-in-law said to tie them into some were else because it causes too much stress on the battery with them hooked up directly to it. Any ideas were to hook them into? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my suggestion would be to use a relay, lot less of a pull on the components and of course fuse anything u add to ur truck, nothing like the lights or winch shorting out and having to be towed home or be stuck doing an wiring rebuild in 18" of swamp water...

How can I hook it to the relay? and wich one would be best? thanks

I have 2 baja fog lights on the bumper and 2 on the roof rack for off road lights. My question is can anyone tell me were the best place to hot wire them too? I had them hooked directly to the battery but my brother-in-law said to tie them into some were else because it causes too much stress on the battery with them hooked up directly to it. Any ideas were to hook them into? Thanks!

If you have the wired to the battery that is in fact the BEST place to power them from, there or the feed to the under hood power distribution box. What you do not want is all of that juice going through the ON-OFF switches. That's where the relay comes in. Here's a simple auxiliary lighting schematic.

Imagefoginstall.jpg

That's exactly what i was talking about Steve. Personally i am going to run all my lights my winch etc on my 91 with a power dist box i got out of my 93 parts truck it has all the fuses and relays i will need for it all plus it will be a separate system on its own breaker if something goes kaput while on a day trip i can still drive it and repair the issue later.... also thinking of putting in a second battery as I've seen done on the forums

Ok thanks everyone, yea I had just the positive from the fog lights hooked to the toggle switch then to the battery so that might have been causing some of my problems. by the way can you possibly tell me what coller the high beam wire and low beam wire's are? as thier are three different collor wires going to my headlights. The are low and high together. thanks again!

Back