• Register Today It's free!

Fog lights and 4x4 problem

nrl073

Reaction score
City, State
Newnan, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ranger Edge 3.0
I have a 2002 Eddie Bauer 4x4. I have read a couple of threads such as this one relating to the 4x4 problem with the control module located behind the glove box.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163694

I was about to order the control module as my symptoms are the same, i.e. 4x4 won't work, 4x4 low light illuminates on dashboard for a few seconds at start up etc. Plus i noticed the problem after disconnecting the battery which was common to others.

I checked the fuses which are in order and noticed the fog lights are on the same fuse as the 4x4. The fog lights are not working either but I swapped fuses after which they came on briefly. The fuse did not blow, but I could not get the fog lights to come back on.

The question I have is, could the issue be some other sort of electrical problem, or will replacement of the CM fix the fog lights too?

Did any of y'all who replaced the CM notice the fog lights out at the same time as the 4x4?

I am a new member but have been lurking for a while now. Love the forum.

Thanks for any help.

Nigel.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's interesting. I don't have the fog lights so I can't talk to that. Considering the amount of wires that run to/thru the 4X4 CM, I wouldn't be surprised if it affects the lights. The confusing part is how the lights came on momentarily which would indicate a fuse blowing. If you're positive the fuse is not blowing (u should check with multimeter, it's not always obvious), I would also check the fusible links under the hood. I wish Ford would put their schematics on-line. Good luck

The 4X4CM uses fuses 17 and 18. The fog lamps use fuses 14 and 44. Attached is a diagnostic procedure from the Service Manual for the 2003 model year. It is the same as for the 2002 model year. My guess is that your fog lamp relay and 4X4CM are both shot.

Good luck. Let us know how you make out with both problems.

ps. The electrical schematics do not open on the DVD I have so I can't help with that.

The 4X4CM uses fuses 17 and 18. The fog lamps use fuses 14 and 44. Attached is a diagnostic procedure from the Service Manual for the 2003 model year. It is the same as for the 2002 model year. My guess is that your fog lamp relay and 4X4CM are both shot.

ps. The electrical schematics do not open on the DVD I have so I can't help with that

Thanks for the info. Will try on wkend and will post back.

ps. The electrical schematics do not open on the DVD I have so I can't help with that.

I checked my owner's manual which, if correct, states the fog lamp fuses were 12 and 29, not 14 and 44. No 12 is also for the 4x4 according to the book, so I cant help but think that the CM problem is somehow related to the fog light problem.

I used the diagnostic procedures you provided as best I could. I checked the relay and I dont think it is the problem. The fuses are definitely intact.

Either way, I still have the problem with the 4x4, so I think I will order the CM and see what happens with the fog lights after I change it. I can happily live without the lights, but I want the 4x4 to work! I just wish I could find out if the CM is shot without spending the $150.

I'll post back the results.

Thanks again.

I checked my owner's manual which, if correct, states the fog lamp fuses were 12 and 29, not 14 and 44. No 12 is also for the 4x4 according to the book, so I cant help but think that the CM problem is somehow related to the fog light problem.

I used the diagnostic procedures you provided as best I could. I checked the relay and I dont think it is the problem. The fuses are definitely intact.

Either way, I still have the problem with the 4x4, so I think I will order the CM and see what happens with the fog lights after I change it. I can happily live without the lights, but I want the 4x4 to work! I just wish I could find out if the CM is shot without spending the $150.

I'll post back the results.

Thanks again.

Sorry about the confusion. I checked the list for Power Dist Box (aka battery junction box - under the hood) where the fogs use 14 and 44, and the 4X4 uses 17 and 18. Your right that the fogs and 4X4 share fuse 12 in the under dash box. Interesting that my Owners Guide (also 2002) says that #29 in the underdash box is for the transmission range sensor, not foglamps. :confused:

Note that the fog lamp relay is also in the power dist box. My owners guide says it's No. 50 in there. I think I'd still be suspicious of that relay.

Good Luck.

Interesting that my Owners Guide (also 2002) says that #29 in the underdash box is for the transmission range sensor, not foglamps.

Perhaps it may be the difference between an XLT and an Eddie Bauer? I don't think all XLT's have fog lights so that may be why they use fuse 29 for the transmission range sensor. Just a thought.

Back