Fog lights AND highbeams | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fog lights AND highbeams

Does anyone know how I can get my fog lights to stay on even when I switch on my highbeams????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Timex, that's a good question. Unfortunately, I can't help you. My fogs stay on when I hit my high beams. I guess I'm the black sheep in the bunch. After reading some posts last week about this, I checked mine, and just like I thought, my fogs stayed on. Now I'm puzzled too. Dead Link Removed

I'm currently trying to figure out that problem. I've found the relays for the low/high/driving lights. they are next to the air filter box, but I don't have the light wiring diagram for the 2000.. only for 91-99, so it is a little harder.

I think once Ford went to the round fogs, they allowed you to keep both sets of lights on. My suggestion would be to get a light relay off of a newer truck and replace the one you currently have.

Eric

If thats the case, the guy that was responsible for fogs fell asleep when mine went past him, because I have the rectangular fogs, and mine stay on.

I have a couple questions RytM1

How does that Flowmaster 50 sound, any HP or gas milage increase. What about the drop in K&N or should I go with the KMM or K&N FIPK. I have a 96 Limited with AWD and 5.0L V8. What MPG do you get, the computer says between 14 and 15 but I'm gonna do it the old fashion way too.

RytM1- maybe then it was 98- model years. I know my 97 doesn't allow me to do it. In any case, my suggestion to replace the older relay with a new one still applies. Since we know the 98s allow you to run both at the same time, this is the year parts I would look for.

Eric

Haxaw, I love the 50, it's louder than stock, but not a lot. On these cold Chicago mornings when I have to warm my truck up, I have no worries about waking up the neighbors. It has a nice throaty tone to it when you get on it too. I haven't noticed any MPG gains, but it does feel a little stronger HP wise. The K&N helps too. This was my first mod, and there was a slightly noticeable HP and MPG gain with that alone. The subsequent mods have negated the MPG gain, and some say it may be due to the extremely cold weather here. Right now, my city mileage is about 10 MPG. As far as the KKM or FIPK, it's a toss up. Do a search on the site and see what members who have them think about them. Some have mentioned the fact that the open filter will tend to suck in hot air from the engine compartment, and are trying to form some heat shields to create a "cold air box" around the filter. Hope I could shed some light on these few things for you. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks!

I probably won't change the exhaust until the stock one rots off. I may see if I can get the filter charger kit from my work (Advance Auto Parts), I get a 20% discount. Wow, I kicked in the V8 tonight. Holy sh*t that thing took off like a rocket. I was grinning ear to ear. Is the mass air flow sensor inside the air box or what? I usually see them after the box. Also did you ever take out the air silencer? I heard that alone boosts power. I just don't want to buy a K&N drop in and then get the performance kit later, It will be like wasting $40. How are the fuel prices out there, bad or what?

The MAF is located in the housing that bolts up between the side of the airbox and the intake tube. You've got me on the air silencer, never heard of that before. Premium in the Chicago 'burbs is $1.75, give or take a few pennies. Glad to hear you liked the improvement of the K&N. You have been bitten by the bug, and now have the fever to which there is no cure.

getting back to the subject of this post. . .I have a 2000 w/ round driving lights and have the same problem mentioned here. Changing the relay to an older/newer relay would not change anything, assuming you even could, because a relay is a relay. Its going to be wired differently to give a different option, for the different years, assuming also that any of the years actually let you run both driving, and high beams at the same time and its not just a fluke.

I DID IT!!!!!!!! Fortunately, my lights were put on after
the sale, so maybe that makes a diffrence. But, when I
went under the dash, there is a wire tapping into the high
beam switch, this was put in with a 5W fuse, I removed the fuse (thus cutting out that wire) and WALLAH!!!!!!

Back