Fog Lights Rewire, need wiring diagram | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fog Lights Rewire, need wiring diagram

t4rest

Reaction score
City, State
Mabank, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ltd
Does anyone have a wiring diagram of the fog lights on Limited or any Ex. I'm looking at trying to rewire the fogs to work separate from the normal switch but I'm not sure about one part of it. I can verify which wires are the power and ground but is there anything else connected to the ground? With how sensitive new car are to messing with the electrical system, I what to be sure my idea won't fry the system. My concept is rather complex with several relays to isolate my system components from Ford's. Warranty concerns are driving me to have all the relays. If it works I'll try to explain it and take photos. By the time I'm done it will be costing around $50 for parts. If you want to know, WHY! Because, I want to, plain and simple.

Well I did it. I managed to install a bypass switch for the fog lights. I wasn't easy the way I did it. It took:
1 switch, Radio Shack
2 jumper wires, Ford #BB5Z-15A211-A
2 add-a-circuit, AutoZone
8 relays, Ford #F57B-14B192-AA
several different wire colors, 18ga

I created a wiring schematic of the new fog light switch system. The idea was to install the by-pass switch without having any power from my new installed switch enter the existing Ford lighting system. This was because of possible warranty concerns. Mind you I am not an Electrical Engineer but I do know a lot about wiring schematics.

One of the biggest problem was how to have the wire from the switch inside of the cabin exit into the engine compartment. I tried the two thru plugs behind the glove box and the one on the driver side. For me they both were impossible to access. I chose to drill a new hole next to the emergency brake pass thru. Under the car it is next to the driver seat. Then I ran along the driver wheel well to the front. I also decided the the second Add-A-Circuit in the engine compartment didn't look good so I choose to just add a wire and a 15amp fuse with the wire just jammed in the slot for the fuse prong.

Next I wired-up one of relay modules, one for the right with four relay and one for the left. Each used the Ford jumper wire. This meant that I can wire the relay module outside the car an install when complete. Also I can remove the modules and replace with the original jumpers that would be removed to install the relay modules.

NOW: after I installed everything I noticed that there is a MUCH easier way to do this. Look at the second schematic and you can see how simple it is. It only requires two relays, one right and one left. Just remember to remove the Fog Light Fuse from the inside of the cars box box.

http://img69.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=4relaysystem.jpg

https://picasaweb.google.com/t4rest/FogLightRewire2011FordExplorer

[/URL]
imgp0277t.jpg

great job, did you use another switch or you managed to make them work separately using the same oem switch ?

could you post a picture of the actual switch youre using ?
thanks

Back