foglight lamp wiring problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

foglight lamp wiring problem

I am putting some Cyber-Whites in place of my ford fog lights. Can't I just hook them up to the same wires that are for the ford fogs? But the thing thats different is that the new fogs have one of those blue bulbs below the regular bulb. The wiring is like this

*Wiring Diagram*

Fog Light Fog Light
l l
l l
l l
---------------------------
l
l
l
In-Line l
Battery ----Fuse----- Relay
l
l
l
l
3-pin plug
l l l
l l l
l l l
l l l
l l l
===firewall===
l l l
l l l
2 way rocker switch​

That is the way the installation manual has it hooked up in their wiring diagram. There are three wires , yellow, red and white. But the problem I am having is just figuring out how to hook them up to the origional switch and relays so I wouldn't have to re-wire everything. So if anyone has any input or suggestions, thanks.

-Drew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you want to use both bulbs you probably have to hook them up per the instructions. You can make the OEM fog wire turn on only one bulb per lamp.

Well that is no fun. Maybe I will just return them. Unless I can figure something else out. Thanks BillKemp.

-Drew

Looks like their wiring diagram just lights both bulbs up at the same time (dunno why). In which case you can use the old fog wire to power the switch and the new relay would light up all the bulbs at the same time.

Alec said:
Looks like their wiring diagram just lights both bulbs up at the same time (dunno why). In which case you can use the old fog wire to power the switch and the new relay would light up all the bulbs at the same time.

Well, the new switch thats provided in the kit has a Off position which is in the middle and then you can push it down to a "one bar" which I guess is one light and then there is a "two bar" when you push up and i guess that is two lights.

Sounds like the lights my friend just got for his car. The way his lights work, the little lite blub makes the rim of the light look blue (kinda like the "angel eyes" on bmws), then the other position is for teh actual fog light. He has a 3 position switch, where middle is off, position one is the rim light, number 2 is the actual fog light. I don't know the brand he has, so hopefully this can help.

Critical_Level2 said:
Sounds like the lights my friend just got for his car. The way his lights work, the little lite blub makes the rim of the light look blue (kinda like the "angel eyes" on bmws), then the other position is for teh actual fog light. He has a 3 position switch, where middle is off, position one is the rim light, number 2 is the actual fog light. I don't know the brand he has, so hopefully this can help.

I believe you are right. Makes sense to me. I will have to figure out something on how to wire them with the old harness and button. Thanks

-Drew

Back