For all those fogged altezzas...theres a solution | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

For all those fogged altezzas...theres a solution

ExploderXLT00

Reaction score
City, State
Rockland County
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT
I contacted the guy I bought my altezzas from and told him about the leaking problem and moisture in the unit. I was going to take them apart and dry them out, then reglue it properly. He told me not to take it apart, becuase it may crack if not done properly...Instead he told me to get rubbing alcohol and dump it into the light...this will evaporate the moisture and will dry w/ no resedue :) I thought this solution may help many of us w/ those "foggy altezzas"...Hope this helps some..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have the carbon fiber ones, and i have that constant problem, thanks for posting the thread, now i don't have to worry about breaking them apart. thanks man...

Finally a solution!

Hope this works well....

Procarparts.com....What a joke.

-Lloyd

Lloyd-

What I truely want to say about you, I can not type. Yet if I could meet you, I would gladly laugh in your face and tell you what I truley think about you and your wise ass comment. Someone gives a suggestion, and that's your response? You must be a child w/ suggestions like that...Everyone always says "welcome aboard"....what I have to say to you is "Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out":D

Well I just got my second pair of Euros from Procarparts (yeah yeah I know, but I ended up with 2 pairs for the price of 1). Anyway, I tried putting clear silicone around them, but thats not a good idea, not cosmetically anyway. While the silicone certainly will help seal, it seeps down into the lense and doesn't look very attractive.

So I scraped the dried silicone back out and just installed them how they came. I just installed the new ones today so we'll see if they leak too. I hope not, but if they do I'll give that a try.

Also, I'm thinking I may try taking them apart (since I have two pairs, I can afford to break one) and toying around with them... I hate imports but have you guys all seen the tails on the new Nissan Altimas? I gotta admit, they're pretty damn cool. I'm just thinking... thats all... :)

Originally posted by ExploderXLT00
Lloyd-

What I truely want to say about you, I can not type. Yet if I could meet you, I would gladly laugh in your face and tell you what I truley think about you and your wise ass comment. Someone gives a suggestion, and that's your response? You must be a child w/ suggestions like that...Everyone always says "welcome aboard"....what I have to say to you is "Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out":D

I have no idea where you coming from here but I don't really think its needed. I just read all of Lloyds posts and didn't find one negative thing atacking you so why would you attack him? He had a legit beef with a company and shared it.

Anyways... wouldn't the rubbing alcohol somehow negativly affect the actual light bulbs? I would think that wouldn't be to good for them? But what do I know? :D

Lloyd...My appologies to you...I read your post incorrectly and appologize for it...I thought you were sayin' that my post was a joke and that i minus well go to procarparts.com and get new ones....My bad, sorry again...And as for the rubbing alcohol w/ the lights, take the altezza unit off the car first and leave the lights hanging on the wires while its done...The lights shouldn't be touched by the alcohol

I got a pair of those altezzas for my 2000 Explorer but parents wouldnt let me keep them on... Yes they do slightly leak but are clean right now and with this alcohol trick they should be good to go...

If anyone cares to buy them from me let me know..I bought them brand new and only used them for about a month..

Grant

Your parents wouldn't let you keep altezzas im assuming b/c they are "illegal"? I don't fully understand that...If they are against illegal mods, why don't they mind the tints?? My opinion is your ride is ill, but why upper it w/ SVT's?? I wanted to get those but lower it on them. I was also wondering, assuming your not much older then my self, how the hell you afford all those mods, pay for the truck, pay gas, and pay insurance? "I want in, on whatever your in on" ;)(fast and furious)

My parents just thought they were extremly ugly.

As for the lift.... I like how I set it up...original I guess I dunno.

The money, well Dad bought the truck but I'll let you guess how I made the $5k for everything else
;)

Grant

Update on that #*cking alcohol BS.....Yea so i tried it, after draining out all the water....yea well the alcohol permanantly made them worse...It put like a white resin on the lense...I got the guy who told me about that alcohol stuff (who i bought em from) to take em back and send me brand new shinny ones, which i will be siliconing closed :D If others tried this, sorry, but was just passing on info i found out my self. If it fogged up others, contact who u bought em from and tell em u want new ones b/c the leak, and they should take em back...otherwise that company sucks...:D

For anyone thinking about buying those stupid damn euro clears, do yourself a favor and don't. I've had two pairs and they both aren't sealed properly. My second pair was fine until I washed my truck, then they got filled with water.

Its a shame really, I think they look nice. I even tried to fix mine, sort of. I cut out a hole in the bottom with a Dremel, but the debris got all over the inside and forget about getting all that crap out, not worth it.

If you just MUST have Euros, I would recommend getting them from Summit, because they sell euros by a brand called Toucan, or something like that. They are $199, but hey, if they work right thats a fair price.

Originally posted by ExploderXLT00
Update on that #*cking alcohol BS.....Yea so i tried it, after draining out all the water....yea well the alcohol permanantly made them worse...It put like a white resin on the lense...I got the guy who told me about that alcohol stuff (who i bought em from) to take em back and send me brand new shinny ones, which i will be siliconing closed :D If others tried this, sorry, but was just passing on info i found out my self. If it fogged up others, contact who u bought em from and tell em u want new ones b/c the leak, and they should take em back...otherwise that company sucks...:D
yeah i got the same thing, i royally pissed me OFF!! then the same day they cracked the people i got em from said the same thing!

solution to this ongoing problem:
1) new altezzas
2) silicon the seals
3) soon as the get fogged send em back for new ones
4) repeat cycle :D

Don't even bother with trying to put silicone around them to seal them yourself. The silicone seeps down into the lense which looks very ugly. Sure, you can seal em up that way, but then you end up with ugly silicone around the edges.

So take your pick,

nice, clean lenses filled with water and moisture

or

ugly silicone on the lense but hey its dry :) ? :( ?

After putting two different pairs of Euros on my Explorer, I've now put the stock ones back on. They look even better than the Euros I think. I'm gonna try and send both pairs back to ProCar and get my money back.

Good luck to me, I know. :) But hey, even if they don't give me my money back (well, they will, I have all records of my communication between ProCarParts and myself, and I'll spend a full year calling them and emailing them every day if I have to until they crack and pay up) it really doesn't matter cause what use do I have for two pairs of defective tailights?

Back