For all you M5OD swappers. . . | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

For all you M5OD swappers. . .

As for the lower gear ratios, I put a whole 2.9 V6 transmission behind my 4.0 daily driving it was definitely noticeable that I had lower gears and did great but one day I was in a hurry accelerating up a hill and shifted to second and shredded second gear. After that I put a rebuilt 4.0 transmission in and daily drove it for well over a year driving it hard and I had absolutely no issues with it and sold it to someone in Oregon so I can finish my V-8 swap.

Thi
As for the lower gear ratios, I put a whole 2.9 V6 transmission behind my 4.0 daily driving it was definitely noticeable that I had lower gears and did great but one day I was in a hurry accelerating up a hill and shifted to second and shredded second gear. After that I put a rebuilt 4.0 transmission in and daily drove it for well over a year driving it hard and I had absolutely no issues with it and sold it to someone in Oregon so I can finish my V-8 swap.

This is what I suspect will happen with mine.... If it does, it gets the updated 4.0 gearset.

Thi

This is what I suspect will happen with mine.... If it does, it gets the updated 4.0 gearset.

Are you referring to the M5ODR1-HD gears?

I’m reading conflicting info on whether or not the R1 and the R1-HD have different gearsets. Anyone know for sure?

It’s looking like the 4cyl gear swap will be out. I’m planning on using this X to tow an UltraLight camper (maybe even long-distance), and even though that extra low 1st gear would be so sweet for towing, sounds like it would have durability issues?

Maybe the HD gear set is what I should be searching for…

Are you referring to the M5ODR1-HD gears?

I’m reading conflicting info on whether or not the R1 and the R1-HD have different gearsets. Anyone know for sure?

It’s looking like the 4cyl gear swap will be out. I’m planning on using this X to tow an UltraLight camper (maybe even long-distance), and even though that extra low 1st gear would be so sweet for towing, sounds like it would have durability issues?

Maybe the HD gear set is what I should be searching for…
I ran into the same mysteries. My understanding is that the ratios are the same but the gears themselves are marginally stronger. If you were to purchase a new counter shaft it would be the upgraded unit.

Back