Ford 1999 4.0 L sohc 4wd engine, 85k miles, timing chain repair cost | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford 1999 4.0 L sohc 4wd engine, 85k miles, timing chain repair cost

Jakster

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer XLT
I got a quote from my local repair shop for $2,140 to replace the 2 front timing chains on my Explorer, it is a 4.0 L, sohc 4wd engine. Is this a fair cost, it seems high.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For that money they should replace all 4 chains and guides
Must pull the motor to do this job properly
All the chains and guides must be replaced to do the job properly
Special tools for this engine are required to do the job properly
Ask if they have ever did a timing job on this exact engine before
Most people pay around $2500 For the job or even a little more

Timing kit for your engine

Screenshot_20211012-084137.png

Depends on where you live too. Labor rates vary, and this job is heavily labor intensive.

For that money they should replace all 4 chains and guides
Must pull the motor to do this job properly
All the chains and guides must be replaced to do the job properly
Special tools for this engine are required to do the job properly
Ask if they have ever did a timing job on this exact engine before
Most people pay around $2500 For the job or even a little more

Timing kit for your engine

View attachment 425395
I just got an additional quote for replacement of an oil chain for $500, never heard of an oil chain, do you know what it is.

Run now while you still can .... Ruunnn

No no oil chain

I just got an additional quote for replacement of an oil chain for $500, never heard of an oil chain, do you know what it is.
If you asked they’d probably be happy to give you a quote to change your 16 spark plugs, too.

I've seen some people report estimates of 18 hrs labor, and probably in Rochester the hourly rate is around $100/hr, so there's $1800 + the $400 kit + misc $100 ("because they can") = $2300.

If you can find a good independent mechanic, that has past customers/legit-reviews who can vouch that s/he doesn't take weeks to get around to finishing the work (this is a huge wildcard, in many cases it takes forever or even small claims court if you don't pick carefully), it might cut the labor rate in half. Payment negotiation... I wouldn't pay up front for more than 10% labor plus 100% parts cost, or just supply the (timing kit at least) parts yourself, then there's at least an $800 incentive to get the job done sooner than later. There may be other parts costs, it's a 23 y/o vehicle.

85K miles? Do you have a problem now? Or trying to do this as preventive? If that latter, don't bother.
If you asked they’d probably be happy to give you a quote to change your 16 spark plugs, too.
I do have 16....in my Charger lol

85K miles? Do you have a problem now? Or trying to do this as preventive? If that latter, don't bother.

I do have 16....in my Charger lol
LOL - my sweetheart won a few bets, said he had 2 transmissions in his 72 Imperial...there was one (from the JY) in the trunk (yes a 727 trans actually fit in there) btw: what year Charger?

@Jakster @donalds Donalds. Why don't you tell him what you did.
Here is a link to a remanufactured engine with a 5 year warranty.
4.0 SOHC

Indeed I just bought a new engine
This was before my first timing job

2016 scat
I'd also go the new engine route if everything else is good.

Back