2006 V8 Eddie Bauer, 300k miles. Timing chain, guides, tensioners | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 V8 Eddie Bauer, 300k miles. Timing chain, guides, tensioners

roveer

Reaction score
City, State
Morristown, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
So I've got my trusty garage kept 2006 V8 300k mile Eddie Bauer that still in decent shape. I'm trying to get as many more miles out of it as possible. I believe I'm hearing the rattle of the timing chains and have been reading and watching videos. I would suspect that at 300k miles these things are probably shredded by now. Besides having to tear apart the entire front of your motor/fan area and remove the valve covers (that live under a mess of wiring harness and vacuum lines), it doesn't seem like the worst thing in the world. A few videos show the tricks to getting things done. I just wanted everyone's advice on whether they feel this is that important to keeping this truck running.

Another question would be (again at 300k miles), do you think the sprockets are warn out?

I've heard the peril of not doing this service is the chain could jump and then trash the motor. The kits come with and without sprockets (pretty big cost difference). I guess I could pull a valve cover and see for myself what they look like. Then I'd know what to order.

Interested in everyone's opinion on this. Of course this will require a few special tools (cam holders) to do this right.

Thanks,

Roveer

I would try to isolate the rattle first to make sure it's coming from the timing components. Have you ever replaced your idler pulleys and your tensioner? Those things could be causing a rattle. I would be tempted to pull the valve covers - with those off you can see down into the timing chain cover. An inspection camera would come in handy to take a peek around.

I would try to isolate the rattle first to make sure it's coming from the timing components. Have you ever replaced your idler pulleys and your tensioner? Those things could be causing a rattle. I would be tempted to pull the valve covers - with those off you can see down into the timing chain cover. An inspection camera would come in handy to take a peek around.

Haven't done any pulleys or tensioner. Probably will pull a cover. I do have an inspection camera and will make use of it. Good place to start.

Thanks,

Roveer

So I've got my trusty garage kept 2006 V8 300k mile Eddie Bauer that still in decent shape. I'm trying to get as many more miles out of it as possible. I believe I'm hearing the rattle of the timing chains and have been reading and watching videos. I would suspect that at 300k miles these things are probably shredded by now. Besides having to tear apart the entire front of your motor/fan area and remove the valve covers (that live under a mess of wiring harness and vacuum lines), it doesn't seem like the worst thing in the world. A few videos show the tricks to getting things done. I just wanted everyone's advice on whether they feel this is that important to keeping this truck running.

Another question would be (again at 300k miles), do you think the sprockets are warn out?

I've heard the peril of not doing this service is the chain could jump and then trash the motor. The kits come with and without sprockets (pretty big cost difference). I guess I could pull a valve cover and see for myself what they look like. Then I'd know what to order.

Interested in everyone's opinion on this. Of course this will require a few special tools (cam holders) to do this right.

Thanks,

Roveer
[/QUOTEw/

Recently on my 08 Exp. 4.6l engine w/only 82,000 miles, I replaced the sprockets and the VCT valves. The chains did leave a very noticeable worn spot on the teeth but nothing to be concerned about. I replaced these parts due to a VCT knock. It was not very hard getting the valve covers off/on. The biggest problem was trying to get the timing mark on one of the sprockets to line up with the timing mark I painted on the chain.

Back