Ford ESP Warranty or Not?

mosher0330

Reaction score
City, State
Plano, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
Hi Everyone,
I recently purchased a 2015 Explorer Sport Eco-Boost from my brother. The SUV has 32,000 miles on it, and I had it thoroughly checked by the dealer, and it received an A+. This is the first explorer I have owned, so I'm a bit torn on the extended warranty. Are there any "known" issues that the explorers generally have that might warrant the purchase of the ESP warranty? I've done a lot of research and I really only see things about the transmission. For me, I'm only considering the warranty because of the 4-WD components, turbo chargers, and all of the electronics present in the vehicle.
I'd love any feedback you might have.

Matthew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Matthew.:wave:
Since you asked, here are a few threads about some issues.
Water pump failure leads to dead engine ( several other threads on this)
Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. (there has been a 'fix' for this)
Water Leak (not covered under ESP Warranty)
PTU Problems
2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue
Power Steering Loss 2015 - 2016 Explorers Only
Hood Paint bubble issue only ( I don't think this is covered under ESP Warranty)
The Forum has a handy 'Search' feature in the upper right that can be helpful once you get used to navigating it. That's how I located the above known threads.

Peter

Buy it.

Water pumps, PTUs, some power steering have gone. Couple of turbos have gone out as well.

None of these are pandemic (water pumps and PTU require particular attention however) but it's very worthy insurance--at the right price. If you search we have good ESP connections on this forum to purchase at an affordable tag.

I ended up getting a great price through Joel and @blwnsmoke .

I got it for the water pump and turbos for the most part.

Welcome to the Forum Matthew.:wave:
Since you asked, here are a few threads about some issues.
Water pump failure leads to dead engine ( several other threads on this)
Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. (there has been a 'fix' for this)
Water Leak (not covered under ESP Warranty)
PTU Problems
2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue
Power Steering Loss 2015 - 2016 Explorers Only
Hood Paint bubble issue only ( I don't think this is covered under ESP Warranty)
The Forum has a handy 'Search' feature in the upper right that can be helpful once you get used to navigating it. That's how I located the above known threads.

Peter
Thanks for the help, I appreciate it! Let me do some digging.

I agree, do it. It came in handy on my '13, and though I got a number of issues addressed under the bumper to bumper on my '15, I expect it will be worth it on this one as well.

You won't be torn on the decision after you get a quote online and see the discounted price for the ESP. Compared to the cost of even one major repair, you would be crazy not to get the ESP.

Oh, and Joel also offers (or he did) a 2 year zero interest payment plan!

You won't be torn on the decision after you get a quote online and see the discounted price for the ESP. Compared to the cost of even one major repair, you would be crazy not to get the ESP.

Oh, and Joel also offers (or he did) a 2 year zero interest payment plan!

Still does with 10% down.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
FYI, Joel is the contact and blwnsmoke has his contact info. You would have to get the crossbars from your dealer.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
FYI, Joel is the contact and blwnsmoke has his contact info. You would have to get the crossbars from your dealer.

Peter
Is there a dealership here that has lower markups than most dealerships?

Thank you

Back