Ford excursion door ajar and dome light stay on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford excursion door ajar and dome light stay on

lisa82461

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Excursion
I have a 2000 Ford Excursion that the door ajar light and dome lights stay on after I shut it off. I have literally went thru 4 new batteries with this problem. until I took out the fuse for the dome lights in the interior fuse box under dashboard. does anyone know what the problem is or how to permanantly disable the relay switch causing this.. I would appreciate the insight. thanks

Hi Lisa! Go get a can of WD-40 and spray it in the door latches and open and close the doors one at a time to free up the sticky prox sensor or whatever indicates that the door is shut all the way. Which would also be why your dome light stays on. Good Luck! Let us know how it goes!

Thank you Colorado 1980.. I actually read this on a social forum the day I posted that.. Evidently this has been a problem well known for a long time with all other brands of Ford vehicles mostly the trucks. I can't believe Ford hasn't sent out a notice to their buyers because alot of them have purchased numerous batteries and altenaters. I even had the relay switches and door locks replaced about 4 years ago in my Excursion. That's to bad that I didn't know this until now because I've spent alot of money and didn't drive it for long periods of time due to this problem..Anyway thank you for your reply I appreciate it..

Back