ford exploder not driving rite PLEASE HELP | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ford exploder not driving rite PLEASE HELP

john1983

Reaction score
City, State
New Castle, Delaware
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 xlt
I have a 99 xlt I bought it used it currently has 190xxx miles on the dash while on a road trip I lost power was not sure the problem engine light never turned on for a long time. I guess to explain the problem the best while I have the engine running not in gear it seems to have power and rev up just fine but if I put it in gear if I punch the gas it acts as though it wants to stall out and studders real bad. I have had it tested on the obd2 tester and threw a bunch of codes, all my shift solonoids showed bad, I have sence replaced them but they still show on test the same. also all my o2 sensors have popped up my temp sensor also wich i have replaced and I think a couple of others. I have been thinking it may be the tps for some time but the other day another possibility came to my attention in another forum not related, and that was the fpr, so I asked the person and they suggested this site for better help seems they have a 91 xlt with the obd1 so didnt want to give advice they werent sure on. To further describe my problem I can still drive the truck but it is quite difficult for instance from a stop i have to gradually apply gas to slowly accelerate and for extra help I manually shift but once it is going its not to bad. PLEASE HELP

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First things first. Please try using a little grammar and punctuation. I know this isn't English class but formatting your question in such a manner as to not give someone a headache is going to assist you in finding people who want to help.

I know you're probably understandably pretty upset but can you condense your problems?

- What exactly happened first when it acted up? It just shudders and revs in gear without really moving forward?

- What all have you done so far to correct the problem?

- Has this changed or fixed any of the symptoms?

At first glance it seems like a transmission issue but to be honest I've read your post 3 times and am still having a hard time deciphering what you're trying to say.

welcome john

...and add the codes that showed up as well. "a bunch of codes" doesn't really help too much. :)

First things first. Please try using a little grammar and punctuation. I know this isn't English class but formatting your question in such a manner as to not give someone a headache is going to assist you in finding people who want to help.

I know you're probably understandably pretty upset but can you condense your problems?

- What exactly happened first when it acted up? It just shudders and revs in gear without really moving forward?

- What all have you done so far to correct the problem?

- Has this changed or fixed any of the symptoms?

At first glance it seems like a transmission issue but to be honest I've read your post 3 times and am still having a hard time deciphering what you're trying to say.

well when it happened it was an all of a sudden thing with no signs prior i was traveling down I95 at about 75-80 mph went to accelerate around slower traffic and it almostt fealt like i was towing something, I then got off at first exit I came to to try to see if I could figure out what was acting up, that was when i found out how bad things really were cause I had nothing for acceleration and the truck was acting like it wanted to stall out shaking real bad when I tried to accelerate from stops. As far as whatI have done so far to fix problem I have done tune up consisting of spark plugs/wires, fuel filter, tranny fluid/filter all shift solonoids, temperature sensor. As for the codes like I said they were for shift solonoids o2 sensors temp sensor and i think there may have been a couple others but dont remember off hand. And no nothing has changed still acts exactly the same as befor I tried to fix the problem. Even though I know the real problem is circled all over the truck FORD.

also I know that codes such as o2 sensors will come up when they are perfectly fine because of a/f ratio being off

Well shaking can occur when an auto is slipping going into gear.

Or actually not making it from one gear to the next.

The torque converter could be going out.

Have you ever done a transmission fluid flush and filter change or know if it's ever been done? Sometimes if it's never been done it can exacerbate the problem but sometimes it can remedy the situation. Worth a try in my opinion if the alternative is a complete transmission rebuild.

yes i changed filter and fluid did not flush but changed, IMO it seems like the truck is trying to start off in a higher gear or something it also does this in reverse its not so much like it wont go into a gear cause it even does this if I manually shift 1-D, I myself wouldnt think it was transmission seems I have drivin it from Florida to Delaware then back down and back up and used to make 2 hour trips 2 times a day for work and alot of other driving around daily that is why I was wondering if it was a sensor or some other electronic problem cause wouldnt the tranny of completely blown by now with alll that driving

visually everything seemed ok all conectors were snug no visual breaks in lines but it doesnt seem tranny related though i feal like its more of a sensor or something along those lines thats causing the ladder affect and throwing all kinds of unecesary codes

Ok this may sound odd but the problem may be your catalytic converters. This would cause the engine to rev ok but be sluggish and down on power. Try disconecting the exhaust at the manifolds and see if that helps.

Ok this may sound odd but the problem may be your catalytic converters. This would cause the engine to rev ok but be sluggish and down on power. Try disconecting the exhaust at the manifolds and see if that helps.

i actually have tried that and still no help

Back