exploder not charging at all | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

exploder not charging at all

Reaction score
City, State
Holt Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer Sport
:mad: What way does the wireing go from the altenator and go to the battery because im the battery is not charing at all and the truck has a brand new battery...the voltage guage in my truck is only reading about 9 volts and I took it to the local auto parts store and had them test it and it said my alternator isnt charging the battery at all.... and it has a brand new altenator that is right out of the box and i even had that checked and that tested out ok

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should be able to get the wiring diagram from the auto zone web site. Trace all wires back to source and check fuses. Also Ford had an issue with the alternator connectors failing, possible fire risk, check that one carefully.

There is actually a fuse in the fuse box that controls the voltage regulator attatched to the alternator. If that fuse blows, it won't work. It's in the fuse box under the hood and on a 93-94 it's one of the little tiny ones. I am not sure which one it is on a 91-92 as they have a different under hood fuse box.

Good evening...I have a 92 xlt, the alternator is going bad slowly. I have a brand new 03 Ford 150 alternator just sitting there. I checked the connectors and the pin configuration and they're the same. The housing and bolts line-up too. So my question is do you think I can use the 130 amp alternator in my original 92 which was only 95 amp? Local shops say yes, but when pressured for a diffinite answer it comes back as maybe...One thing I did verify was the part number(on the regualtor)was the same with only the letter prefix slightly different. Can you help? Thanks John Trevillian

What is the voltage at the B+ terminal on your alternator ( with engine running )? What is the voltage at the + terminal on your batter with the truck running?

Thanks again for the reply, my wife has no respect for the info obtained from forums in general, she would rather listen to the mechanic on the corner@$90.00 an hour..John

135 amp alternator will have an easy time on your vehicle, it has the potential to supply up to 135A but will only put out what your vehicle requires. So if it fits, run it.

Back