Ford Explorer reliability - how does it compare? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer reliability - how does it compare?

Results for 90+ other models will be released in a couple of weeks. The next set after that will be in May. Hopefully a few years of the Explorer will be included in that set, but this will depend on how many owners sign up and participate.

Vehicle reliability research

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have 55k on my 04 flex fuel and other than its occasionally quirky gas gauge have had zero problems with it ;

brad

In general, you're much more likely than many people realize to get a trouble-free vehicle these days. One goal of my research is to make this clearer.

I can only do this, though, if people join and participate. The February results will not include any year of the Explorer; the May results could.

For the details, and to help make it happen:

Only one more month of data collection before the next set of results. I hope to have at least a few years of the Explorer in this set, but it's going to be tight. A few additional participants could make all the difference.

I bought an '02 Explorer EB 4.6L V8 new in 2002. Fortunately, I also bought the 100K warranty from the dealer. It's had all sorts of issues, mainly electrical but also mechanical. The GEM Module had to be reprogrammed early on when the power door locks and other bells & whistles died suddenly. The transmission started acting strange before it had 1K on it and this was attributed to the transmission having insufficient fluid from the factory. All was well for some time until a crack developed under the glass in the rear liftgate. Ford said it was because I used something other than Ford washer fluid but I know this was bogus as almost all washer fluids consist of a menthanol/detegergent combo. They told me at the dealer that if they broke the glass liftgate in the process of replacing the recall hinges, then they'd fix it, otherwise it was $250 and the price of repainting the new panel section. A Total Cop Out! Now, when it's cold, the split can be as much as 1/4" across vertically and it's since broke out horizontally.

At about 90K, the rear end started making a lot of noise, initially attributed to the tires and was subsequently narrowed down to the rear wheel bearings failing. These were replaced under warranty. While checking this out, they discovered code issue with the transmission due to funky shifting. This was determined to be a solenoid valve problem within the transmission which was also replaced under warranty. After replacing the said solenoid, the 4X4 lights started flashing and the transmission wouldn't go into 4WD. This was attributed to a failed 4X4 Control Module which was also replaced under warranty. After fixing this, the vehicle started making a strange noise and vibration when it encountered much of a grade. After riding with the dealer mechanic and his laptop-like device, he determined that there was a problem with the lube in the front transfer case. He said they'd seen this on several like models and even though there was no maintenance schedule for the front transfer case, they said that a lube replacement would usually fix it. They said that they would drain the transfer case and replace the lube at n/c if I would supply the lube, which I did at 99K miles. The old oil was like thin asphalt and yet replacing it didn't help it at all. Now it kicks the 4WD in on any sort of grade and when you let off the gas, it kicks the whole vehicle slightly sideways which is un-nerving, especially when it's wet. They've now decided that the wheel speed sensors are the culprit but since it's now out of warranty, they won't fix it for less than $500 for the parts, even though the problem existed while still under warranty and no amount of arbitration or negotiation will change their minds.

To add insult to injury, the GEM Module has totally crapped out, the auto driver seat, power seats, auto headlights, remote door locks, rear tail gate release and more. Looks like now that will cost about $600 after the mandatory $100 diagnosis charge. At the very least it's $250 to reprogram the GEM Module plus the $100 diagnosis charge. The dealer gleefully rubs their hands. I'll never buy another Ford product again. I think even Kia builds more reliable vehicles over the long haul. Ford, you wonder why you're in deep sh*t and sold off Jaguar to India's Tata Motors? Even a moron can figure it out.

Sorry to hear you've had so much trouble.

We've been collecting data on the 2002 and the 2003. But to provide results for these--and other--model years, we're going to need more participants.

To help get your year included:

We were nearly able to include a couple model years in the May results. A few additional participants could make the difference between results for the Explorer and no results in the next update, in August.

Help make this happen:

We'll start previewing the next set of results to participants in just a few weeks. I'm really hoping some years of the Explorer will make it into this update, but it's going to be tight.

It's looking like the 2002 and 2003 won't quite make it into the August results unless a few more owners sign up and participate.

If you've signed up to participate but haven't yet responded to the survey (via a link in the email you received), please do. And if you haven't signed up yet, I hope you'll consider doing so. I'd really like to have these results in August.

The 2002 won't be in there (more likely in November), but the 2003 will be. With an asterisk for marginal sample size, but in there.

Of course, I'd like to provide solid information on all model years, for free to everyone that participates. But this will require more participants.

A result has been posted for the 2003. The repair rate appears to be much worse than the average 2003. But the sample size is small, so it's possible that the repported repair rate would be lower with more participants.

So additional participants would certainly be helpful.

For the full set of results:

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

Just signed up with my '04 Ex. Only one problem was with the ABS sensor.
How many '04's so far?
Cool - your from West Blmfld, would have signed up sooner if i had known . . .
Good luck! :thumbsup:
Jim

03 mounty here

bought it 3 months ago w/57k on the clock. At 60K i had the rear end rebuilt because of the notorious rear end whine, had my driver heated seat fixed because it wouldn't heat up, had servos and some other stuff replaced in the trans. Looks like i'm going to be doing the rear wheel bearings soon, which will be the first repair I do that isn't covered under warranty.

Just signed up with my '04 Ex. Only one problem was with the ABS sensor.
How many '04's so far?
Cool - your from West Blmfld, would have signed up sooner if i had known . . .
Good luck! :thumbsup:
Jim

20 2004s so far--need five more to include it in the main survey.

Other years are just below or just above the minimum. So more participants would certainly help.

Updated results have been posted. The sample sizes remain small, so the results are not precise, but the reported repair rates are is worse than the average. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 vehicles per year:

2002: 192

2003: 148

With more participants, we could provide more precise results and cover all model years.

For the details on the Explorer and 170+ other models, and to sign up to help out:

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

Current number of owners signed up per model year:

2002: 39

2003: 26

2004: 24 - just one short of the minimum

2005: 20 - within five

Making progress, but more remain needed.

Thanks, Chris, I appreciate it.

Updated results for the 2002 and 2003 in early February. Sample sizes are marginal for these years, and insufficient for 2004 and 2005, so additional participants would be very helpful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Updated results were posted this month. We have partial results for two model years. The 2003 is about average, while the 2002 is "worse than average."

Sample sizes are small, so these results are asterisked and visible only to participants on the site itself.

A big thanks to everyone who has been helping. We'll update results again in May, August, and November. With more participants, we could cover more model years and provide more precise results.

We now have a separate results page for each model. The one of the Ford Explorer:

Ford Explorer reliability comparisons

Back