Ford Explorer reliability - how does it compare? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer reliability - how does it compare?

mkaresh

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Taurus X
In late 2005 I started conducting my own reliability research. I'm reporting absolute stats like "times in the shop" that will make the differences between cars much clearer. Relative ratings obscure too much--how large is the difference between "better than average" and "worse than average"? I’ll also be updating results four times a year, so there will be information on new models sooner.

I haven't started collecting data on the Ford Explorer yet, because too few owners have signed up to participate. Many model years are now close to the minimum, though, with a total of 170 owners signed up.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, panel members will receive full access to the results free of charge.

Details: Vehicle reliability research

Comments, questions, and suggestions welcome.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Compare to what? We all drive Explorers so we don't kow about any other SUV's.

People only report on the vehicles they own. By having owners of many different models participate, we'll be able to compare them. There are currently 14,000 vehicles in the panel, only 99 of which are Ford Explorers. I apologize that this wasn't clearer.

This month I'll be posting results for 30 different models (29 more with marginal sample sizes in the member's area). I'd like the Explorer to be among the models I have results for in future quarters.

People only report on the vehicles they own. By having owners of many different models participate, we'll be able to compare them. I apologize that this wasn't clearer.

Ah ok sorry if i was confused.

Welcome to the site, but please don't double post your questions.

Sorry about that. The reason I did that is that it is no longer possible to post in the general forum, and in the future I'll have results by model year that won't be relevant for both groups of owners.

Oh by the way I'm not giving out my plate #!

Some people own two of the same vehicle. This permits them to be distinguished from one another.

Also, every once in a while someone asks me, "How do you know the vehicles being reported on are real?" To be able to respond to this, I need some way to identify that a vehicle exists if something about it seems suspicious. If I asked for VINs, few people would bother to look theirs up. I know I wouldn't.

So I went with the plate number, since it's much easier to see and remember. It's also hard to imagine a more public form of "private" info.

People do have the option of just entering 99 for their plate, and many do. I just reserve the right to ask for the plate number if something seems suspicious about the vehicle down the road.

Highly unlikely, but some people get very worked up about things that are highly unlikely to happen, so I need a way to respond to their concerns.

Getting closer, but still not to the minimum for any model year.

Latest results for some other models:

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

I'd like to include the Explorer in future sets of results, but can only do this with owners' help.

I really didn't feel like doing the survey, but I see no problem with giving someone my tag number. Being in motor vehicle sales, I know there's not a whole lot that could be done even if someone tried to use that information in a manner it wasn't intended.
I'd post a pic of my truck here with the tag displayed.
It's no different seeing it on the road and writing down the number.

If someone wants the information, they'll get it. But the chances of them being able to do anything malicious with it is quite unlikely.

I should note that this isn't a simple one-time survey. How it works is that people report any repair the month after it happens. Other than this just report an approximate odometer reading when this is requested at the end of each quarter. The repair survey takes less than five minutes, the odometer survey less than one minute (just seconds if you're quick about it).

For those who missed my explanation of the license plate request, it's a few posts up.

The point of it all is to provide car buyers with much better reliability information than they have today. The alternative is to force them to continue to rely on CR.

I signed up. Seems harmless enough.

Thanks.

A few model years are now 2/3 of the way to the minimum, so hopefully I can start collecting data on these soon.

Just four short of the minimum for the 2002 now, and other years are also getting close.

Next results in August for nearly 100 other models.

In late 2005 I started conducting my own reliability research. I'm reporting absolute stats like "times in the shop" that will make the differences between cars much clearer. Relative ratings obscure too much--how large is the difference between "better than average" and "worse than average"? I’ll also be updating results four times a year, so there will be information on new models sooner.

I haven't started collecting data on the Ford Explorer yet, because too few owners have signed up to participate. Many model years are over halfway to the minimum, though, with a total of 99 owners signed up.

To encourage participation, panel members will receive full access to the results free of charge.

Details: Vehicle reliability research

Comments, questions, and suggestions welcome.

Have had my 03 Explorer Limited, V8, 4wd since March 03; 45,000 miles mostly city driving. Have not needed any repair during that time; just scheduled maintenance.

2002 now just three owners short of the minimum, and 2003 just four short.

Results for about 65 other models next month.

Now just two short with the 2002, and three short with the 2003. So close...

Got to the minimums, and data collection has begun for both the 2002 and 2003. Thanks, guys. I look forward to sharing results with this forum.

The sample sizes are still very small, so more participants would still be very helpful. I'd also like to include other model years.

Auto reliability research -- need more Explorers!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recently added a Common Auto Repairs Database (CARDb) to the site. People posting common repairs can include a link to a forum thread discussing the problem. I hope this will make it easier for people to find this information, while helping to grow the forums that have been lending a hand with the research.

Common Auto Repairs Database (CARDb)

Back