Ford Flex shift knob install in Explorer | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Flex shift knob install in Explorer

I wonder if something got messed up with the little white box that the O/D wire plugs into. While I have read plenty of people having an issue with this preventing them from shifting at all, I wonder if in my case it is making shifting without pressing the brake pedal. Need to find time to get into this again. At least that part is cheap... https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-924-707-Shift-Interlock-Module/dp/B009AAEK3Y

Having a hard time finding the little pin though and plastic plunger incase I tear mine up removing it. I can find the pin for a Ranger, Explorer Sport Trac but only for earlier years. Anyone have the part numbers for the pin and plastic plunger? If they are cheap I am considering just grabbing them and if I don't need them can just return them. But want them on hand in case I tear mine up removing it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Going to finally get around to giving this another try soon. Was cleaning the garage some the other day and found the Flex shifter sitting in the box. Anyone else done this mod recently? Any additional tips, really hoping I can get the plastic shaft out this time so I can drill, get the new shifter on and then get the plastic rod back in place and my shifting back to normal behavior.

so today I was bored and making my rounds on the junkyard inventory and was amazed to see that there was a 2006 xlt at the yard 2 miles down the street! Ive never ran out the door so fast! the thing was thrown off a cliff major front end damage but I took the whole shifter assembly paid $20 and went home a removed mine and replaced it.... now my shifter works 100% correct... going to take some time getting used to the functioning neutral lockout and having to hit the break to put it in gear but all in all the flex shifter is finally done correct and I can pass tech if this was ever taken to the strip...... and since I have an extra PRND321 trim I can finally cut it up so i can select 1st gear again.... also grabbed the cluster for ***** and giggles... $14.99.... too bad the interior was not my beige color

Going to finally get around to giving this another try soon. Was cleaning the garage some the other day and found the Flex shifter sitting in the box. Anyone else done this mod recently? Any additional tips, really hoping I can get the plastic shaft out this time so I can drill, get the new shifter on and then get the plastic rod back in place and my shifting back to normal behavior.

here is a trick that is sure to get 40,000 dislikes.... all you have to do is splice in the OD wires then put some tape on the shaft and pound that handle right on there.... its firm and does not spin and no chance of ruining anything!

all you have to do is splice in the OD wires then put some tape on the shaft and pound that handle right on there.... its firm and does not spin and no chance of ruining anything!

Assuming I am reading this right, basically cut the 2 wires on the original shifter, splice them onto the new one. Then, instead of drilling and tapping the screw hole, wrap some tape around the shaft with the original shifter removed. Pound the new shifter on and call it a day? Might give that a try, I hate staring at the Flex shifter sitting on my desk for now almost a year.

Might also look at junkyards for a $20 shifter assembly!!

Assuming I am reading this right, basically cut the 2 wires on the original shifter, splice them onto the new one. Then, instead of drilling and tapping the screw hole, wrap some tape around the shaft with the original shifter removed. Pound the new shifter on and call it a day? Might give that a try, I hate staring at the Flex shifter sitting on my desk for now almost a year.

Might also look at junkyards for a $20 shifter assembly!!

I spliced into the existing wires using solder and heat shrink tubing. No reason to not do that. Can't speak for the rest of the solution. :) Whatever works.

Warning! This mod is dangerous. If you preform this mod, you will become obsessed with touching the shifter while driving. You will begin to power shift through the first 3 gears. You will destroy your transmission.
Haha, all joking aside, this is the best mod I've done to my truck, and it's pretty simple. Highly recommended.

I still have mine sitting on the desk, one of these days I will get around to installing it. But, the complete failure that was my last attempt has me reluctant to screw up the shifter in the wife's vehicle any more than it already is.

Warning! This mod is dangerous. If you preform this mod, you will become obsessed with touching the shifter while driving. You will begin to power shift through the first 3 gears. You will destroy your transmission.
Haha, all joking aside, this is the best mod I've done to my truck, and it's pretty simple. Highly recommended.

except for the fact you cant use 1st gear unless you mod the crap out of the other pieces lol.... starting off in 2nd is not very satisfying

You can use 1st gear. You misread it.

This mod prevents you from going into 1st normally without some modification. ---that is manually pulling the shifter down to first. You can force it though. I haven't had any problems, so no big deal to me. I keep it in drive 99.999 percent of the time. Just keep playing with it before you make it permanent.

even if the bottom plastic is longer the shift handle is the same size and slides in pretty low... if anything the longer bottom might limit even 2nd gear.... i think ford or other sellers caught on to people using these in other applications and changed the part numbers and or prices because the $10 i paid is a steal

its possible they made the plunger inside the handle longer to raise the positioning

I still, have not gotten around to installing mine. Reluctant to screw up the shifter in my (wife's) vehicle. Frustrated that I could not get it installed way back though, keep meaning to see if I can get a new shift mechanism from somewhere and then swap it over. But, just finding time is tough.

51 bucks and change for a Flex knob, now....damn.

Thanks to all who provided instructions for this, turned out great on mine.

Cost for the shift knob was $36.35 delivered from Tasca via eBay listing.

Flex Shift Knob Installed 2007 Sport Trac.jpg

Thanks to all who provided instructions for this, turned out great on mine.

Cost for the shift knob was $36.35 delivered from Tasca via eBay listing.

View attachment 170280

Wierd question- what’s supposed to go in that hole to the left of/beside the cigarette lighter?

Mines got a wierd grey plastic thingy pluging it. I have no idea what it is.

It was an Aux input for the factory stereo, which has been replaced.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 06 Limited has an engine light showing. Mechanic said it was a fuel pressure sensor. I replaced it but stil has the display. Now it idles rough also. I am thinking a fuel filter could be the cause. 104 thousand miles and I've had it for 5 years now.

Back