Ford Goes Cheap With Halogen Over HID On 2017 | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Goes Cheap With Halogen Over HID On 2017

Wow, people expect so much these days, but don't want to pay for it. Either pick the correct option package(s) or know there are MANY aftermarket options out there. To simply state you'd look somewhere else over non-LED fog lamps boggles my mind.
Jon-Stewart-mind-blown.gif
Thanks for your feedback. Although I didn't make any reference to "non-LED fog lamps" in my criticism. Not do I have a problem with the LED low beams. My complaint is with the reduced safety offered by the high beam halogen bulbs. Perhaps I could have been clearer, but the combination of LED lows with halogen highs seems to me a "cheapening" of the vehicle. Were the Explorer equipped with both LED high and lows I'd have been okay.
And as for a willingness to pay up for the technology? I can't imagine what you're inferring by that comment.

I was, in retrospect, remiss in not checking with the forum on the headlight issue before placing my order. But, when I did (in March, or so) the dealer's order sheet made no reference to the type of headlights on the vehicle, only the availability of LED fog lamps. I ordered my '17 with all package options beside the second-row double seats. I assumed (I know) that the headlights used would not have regressed through five model years.

My point was that, considering my driving environment and extensive use of my 2012 Explorer over 62k miles of mostly rural driving, the HID high beams were (most likely) a lifesaver. They certainly helped me avoid 5-6 deer and moose strikes. And, I find Ford's decision to go from HID to (rather than even LED) halogen high beams a cheapening and a reduction in nighttime safety.

Another responder referenced his order sheet that stipulated the lighting combination on the Limited. As an aside, I'm looking at the order sheet and copy of the online build from March (a '16) and neither make mention of the headlight combination used. Of course neither make mention of any number of other features, as well (And the EcoBoost was then still a $995 option).

As another forum responder wrote; "buyer beware". Of course, I could have saved myself some aggravation by visiting the Forum (hadn't for a couple of years). But, I didn't. My loss. My '17 Limited certainly has some nice safety upgrades over my 2012, with it's lane-keeping assist and forward-facing camera. But, for the $6k difference between my 2012 and 2017.....well, lets just call it a bit of postpartum depression.

Thanks for everyone's feedback and remedies.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...........Another responder referenced his order sheet that stipulated the lighting combination on the Limited. As an aside, I'm looking at the order sheet and copy of the online build from March (a '16) and neither make mention of the headlight combination used. Of course neither make mention of any number of other features, as well (And the EcoBoost was then still a $995 option).

Thanks for everyone's feedback and remedies.
The 2016 Order Guide posted on the Forum states; "The following items are standard on the 2016MY Explorer vehicle":
● Headlamps – Auto LED Low Beams, Halogen Reflector High Beams.

The way it is shown could be a little confusing if one was to immediately scroll down to the vehicle of choice since the above notation was only shown in the section pertaining to the Base model. In short both the 2016 Order Guide posted November 19, 2014 and 2017 Order Guide posted March 28, 2016 on the Forum indicated the low LED and high Halogen combination for the headlamps. Standard equipment seems to be shown in the Base model section and not necessarily repeated in each following trim description. This could be what could cause some confusion as to what is and isn't included in each trim package.
The 'Build and Price' for the 2016 Limited shows; Automatic LED Low-Beam Headlamps as well as; Headlamps, Bi-Functional Projector-Beam Halogen which seems to be a bit confusing to me. It would have been better stating they were for High beam.

Well, there's always this option (link below) if you need a TON of light. Honestly the LED lows are REALLY good and I don't use my highs all that frequently. Halogens still provide the best overall coverage for the HIGHS but LED's are quickly putting the halogens out to pasture.

https://www.amazon.com/Inch-LED-Light-Bar-Lumens/dp/B00AYZB6Z4

Well, there's always this option (link below) if you need a TON of light. Honestly the LED lows are REALLY good and I don't use my highs all that frequently. Halogens still provide the best overall coverage for the HIGHS but LED's are quickly putting the halogens out to pasture.

https://www.amazon.com/Inch-LED-Light-Bar-Lumens/dp/B00AYZB6Z4
That would be awesome for my country roads, but if I put that on top of my XLT I'd really have people thinking I was a LEO. :)

As an owner of a 2016 XLT with LED Main Beams/LED Fog Lights I almost never have to use the Halogen highs, but when I do their performance is extremely acceptable.

Another potential conversion is to modify the 9011 bulb to fit the 9005 high beam bulb. The philips 9011 bulbs puts about about 30% more lumens than the 9005. There are a lot of conversion videos online. This is the route I will take. And best of all, the 9011 bulb still uses 65 watts, same as the 9005.

I will say this, the LED highs are great for flashing folks to either MOVE or if they need a reminder about cutting off traffic or to allow trucks to move over.

@Napalm not a chance.... too much in the way. It's really tight, but doable from the top.

Im going to swap out my 17 Sport High Beams, but before I order those same ones off Amazon I just want to confirm your still happy with them and they are true plug and play?

I will say the 16 X LEDs compared to my 13 f150 hids are no comparison. My f150 blows them away, especially in the hi beam department. I feel ford could've done better with the lighting. Personally I was rather disappointed with the LEDs in the rain at night. Other than that, they're acceptable. I still think led technology can use some improving for headlight use.

Hi,
I'm thinking of replacing the High beam bulbs with LEDs like some of you did.
Can you please recommend a quality LED replacement bulb (which I can buy in Canada)?
Thanks,
Oliver

Hi,
I'm thinking of replacing the High beam bulbs with LEDs like some of you did.
Can you please recommend a quality LED replacement bulb (which I can buy in Canada)?
Thanks,
Oliver
Welcome to the Forum Oliver.:wave:
Another member from Vancouver.

Peter

Theretorfitsource has lots of great products and should be Canada friendly. I'm going to pick up a set of their "2 stroke" LEDs on Black Friday. I was the least bit impressed with my Amazon LEDs.

OLIVER - I got mine thru Amazon

I have to agree with the original poster on this one. I, too, would be surprised/disappointed to see the Limited "regressing" in technology. Sorry to hear you didn't catch it before your purchase. Buyer beware...
Quite honestly, I wouldn't give the type of headlights on a car, when I'm looking/buying, a single thought. I trade cars every few years - my last 5 cars have been Fords - 2003 Crown Vic, 2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer, 2008 Expedition Eddie Bauer (my most favorite, still kicking myself in the ass for parting ways with that) - and to this point, they were all 2 years used. I can't say headlights ever crossed my mind once in all that time. When I parted with the Expedition (private party, done deal) I was screwed by the dealer (imagine that) in Dec, 2013. The Used Fleet Manager was the husband of a coworker of mine and over Christmas Day they were holding a pristine, 2011 Explorer Limited, fully loaded (the parking, cruise maintain - all of it), no money down they insisted (we were "friends"). Of course, when I returned on the 26th it was gone. That part of the story is long and not really even important, I just like to complain about it.

I'd already sold my Expedition, had to have a car, so they "made me a deal" on a brand new 2013 Ford Edge Limited. Nice amenities (no auto-park, etc but basically everything else). I didn't really want a brand new car but I took it - and it did have the HID lights which was, at that point, meaningless to me. But I did come to love those HID lights, great brightness at night (I live in the far-out suburbs of Phoenix so it's dark at night). Amazingly, we kept that car almost 4 years until I was finally able to get/find another Explorer with the options I wanted - my 9 month old 2016 Explorer Limited 4x4 (AWD - I see it both ways). When I looked at the car in the dealer lot, I saw the headlights - and to glance at them, they do look similar to HID, I assumed they were. Anyway, we bought it and it wasn't until I was parking, pulling towards a window at night so I could see the reflection, that I noticed the fog lights looked like lights from a really old car with fogged up lenses. I flashed the brights, and I'd never noticed until then that they were different as well.

Now personally, I'm rather OCD so sameness is an issue with me. They don't match, they don't match, they don't match....that's all that runs though my head now, hence why I've come to the forum for wisdom and suggestions. And while I see there are a lot of options for changing them, I'm not understanding if people are saying it's okay to do so but won't be as bright or if they should be left alone or if they're changed they'll be too bright. And I see LOTS of talk about bulbs and I've seen MANY people ask "what kind did you get, what should I get", the only specific answer I've seen is, "I got them at Amazon". That's rather vague! A model number, wattage or lumens or candle power, a brand name, and a "use this specific type for fog lights, this type for high beams" along with a "don't go over X amount of Uranium 235 input and make sure you stabilize the anti-matter containment field" would all be really, really awesome!!! Yes, I'm a geek, no, I don't have a Masters in Cars - I just know how to do a few things more than some, less than others. SO, if anyone is still reading, if someone could provide just a TEENSY amount more specifics, that'd be awesome!!! Thanks guys - and aren't you glad I joined your Forum!?

Quite honestly, I wouldn't give the type of headlights on a car, when I'm looking/buying, a single thought. I trade cars every few years - my last 5 cars have been Fords - 2003 Crown Vic, 2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer, 2008 Expedition Eddie Bauer (my most favorite, still kicking myself in the ass for parting ways with that) - and to this point, they were all 2 years used. I can't say headlights ever crossed my mind once in all that time. When I parted with the Expedition (private party, done deal) I was screwed by the dealer (imagine that) in Dec, 2013. The Used Fleet Manager was the husband of a coworker of mine and over Christmas Day they were holding a pristine, 2011 Explorer Limited, fully loaded (the parking, cruise maintain - all of it), no money down they insisted (we were "friends"). Of course, when I returned on the 26th it was gone. That part of the story is long and not really even important, I just like to complain about it.

I'd already sold my Expedition, had to have a car, so they "made me a deal" on a brand new 2013 Ford Edge Limited. Nice amenities (no auto-park, etc but basically everything else). I didn't really want a brand new car but I took it - and it did have the HID lights which was, at that point, meaningless to me. But I did come to love those HID lights, great brightness at night (I live in the far-out suburbs of Phoenix so it's dark at night). Amazingly, we kept that car almost 4 years until I was finally able to get/find another Explorer with the options I wanted - my 9 month old 2016 Explorer Limited 4x4 (AWD - I see it both ways). When I looked at the car in the dealer lot, I saw the headlights - and to glance at them, they do look similar to HID, I assumed they were. Anyway, we bought it and it wasn't until I was parking, pulling towards a window at night so I could see the reflection, that I noticed the fog lights looked like lights from a really old car with fogged up lenses. I flashed the brights, and I'd never noticed until then that they were different as well.

Now personally, I'm rather OCD so sameness is an issue with me. They don't match, they don't match, they don't match....that's all that runs though my head now, hence why I've come to the forum for wisdom and suggestions. And while I see there are a lot of options for changing them, I'm not understanding if people are saying it's okay to do so but won't be as bright or if they should be left alone or if they're changed they'll be too bright. And I see LOTS of talk about bulbs and I've seen MANY people ask "what kind did you get, what should I get", the only specific answer I've seen is, "I got them at Amazon". That's rather vague! A model number, wattage or lumens or candle power, a brand name, and a "use this specific type for fog lights, this type for high beams" along with a "don't go over X amount of Uranium 235 input and make sure you stabilize the anti-matter containment field" would all be really, really awesome!!! Yes, I'm a geek, no, I don't have a Masters in Cars - I just know how to do a few things more than some, less than others. SO, if anyone is still reading, if someone could provide just a TEENSY amount more specifics, that'd be awesome!!! Thanks guys - and aren't you glad I joined your Forum!?

Fogs = H10 9145
Highs = 9005 HB3

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum DeLeSaAZ.:wave:
Having had my'17 Platinum for a little while now the only reason I can see for changing out the high beams is for esthetic purposes as you mentioned. I travel through unlit country roads quite often and have had absolutely no issues with the actual light output of the high beams.
Please add the trim level (Limited) to your profile so it shows in the margin. That can be helpful info. Thanks and all the best of the Season to you and yours.

Peter

Back