Ford Goes Cheap With Halogen Over HID On 2017 | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Goes Cheap With Halogen Over HID On 2017

Now personally, I'm rather OCD so sameness is an issue with me. They don't match, they don't match, they don't match....that's all that runs though my head now, hence why I've come to the forum for wisdom and suggestions. And while I see there are a lot of options for changing them, I'm not understanding if people are saying it's okay to do so but won't be as bright or if they should be left alone or if they're changed they'll be too bright. And I see LOTS of talk about bulbs and I've seen MANY people ask "what kind did you get, what should I get", the only specific answer I've seen is, "I got them at Amazon". That's rather vague! A model number, wattage or lumens or candle power, a brand name, and a "use this specific type for fog lights, this type for high beams" along with a "don't go over X amount of Uranium 235 input and make sure you stabilize the anti-matter containment field" would all be really, really awesome!!! Yes, I'm a geek, no, I don't have a Masters in Cars - I just know how to do a few things more than some, less than others. SO, if anyone is still reading, if someone could provide just a TEENSY amount more specifics, that'd be awesome!!! Thanks guys - and aren't you glad I joined your Forum!?

Haha, thanks for the laugh. And welcome to the forum. :)

I see 613GT500 has already provided the information you were seeking so I won't repeat the information. Like you I'm a bit OCD about all of the lights 'matching' so I'll be replacing my high beams shortly after Christmas (a belated Christmas present to myself, haha.) I'll probably do it while I've got Alfred on jack stands painting the brake calipers. Thankfully the 2017s already have the LED driving lights so I won't have to mess with them.

Again, welcome to the forum. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

........ Thankfully the 2017s already have the LED driving lights so I won't have to mess with them.

Again, welcome to the forum. :)
Explorers come with 'Fog' not 'Driving' lights.;) Unfortunately too many use them as driving lights.:(
Are you going with the 9005 HB3 for the highs?

Peter

Explorers come with 'Fog' not 'Driving' lights.;) Unfortunately too many use them as driving lights.:(
Are you going with the 9005 HB3 for the highs?

Peter
Haha, I knew I'd get a response out of you on this one. Most of the time I refer to them as fog lights, but I've been taught that 'true' fog lights are yellow and not 'white.' I use them as driving lights where I live. Most everyone does. I think everyone just accepts them because the alternative is having a deer as a hood ornament. :) If I'm in town, however, I turn them off most of the time. Even though there are plenty of 'city deer' there most of the time you can avoid hitting them because of the lower speeds.

And, yes, going to go with the 9005 HB3s. They look like they match very well to the factory LED low beams.

so you can buy yellow spectrum lights and put in there - now they are fog lights. and I think I might do just that. 3000K color LED fogs.

To the other guy - OCD isn't a bad thing. A few of us are equally OCD so we understand.

Looking up bulbs on car is usually easy - the style or type number is listed in your manual for anything user replaceable. Likewise I also check out sylvania's website on bulb replacements since they are very through - and the number 1 maker of auto lighting. SO their info is often correct.

the engineer in me doesn't like the bulbs that have fans on then - especially for something like the high beams since those are also your flash bulbs. so I would avoid anything with a fan in that location.

In addition to changing the high beams, I would also like to change out the puddle lights & license plate light to LED. Has anyone else done this? I read about this somewhere, but I can't find it now. That same thread was changing the interior lights to LED as well.

As I re read this thread and was disappointed in my 50k + sport for no HIDs and LEDs I realized one of my friends paid 68k cash for a chevy truck with all kinds of toys and highend trim and it to only had Halogens. So candidly I think it is an American mfgr issue.. I love my Xsport and would not change it for a bmw or Porsche or Audi. and DD lights has made me happier.

As I re read this thread and was disappointed in my 50k + sport for no HIDs and LEDs I realized one of my friends paid 68k cash for a chevy truck with all kinds of toys and highend trim and it to only had Halogens. So candidly I think it is an American mfgr issue.. I love my Xsport and would not change it for a bmw or Porsche or Audi. and DD lights has made me happier.
That's what we need. More 'happier' members.:) Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Peter

In addition to changing the high beams, I would also like to change out the puddle lights & license plate light to LED. Has anyone else done this? I read about this somewhere, but I can't find it now. That same thread was changing the interior lights to LED as well.

On a 2017 almost everything but high beam headlights is already LED so make sure your not changing out one LED for another.

On a 2017 almost everything but high beam headlights is already LED so make sure your not changing out one LED for another.

would the manual state which are LED?

LED is the type of bulb and if you haven't been able to tell which stock blubls are LED, it likely means the color it's not the bright white 5000K-6000k, that the majority of folks look for when switching from halogens.

thought the 15 sports came with HID"s like the limited's

it should.

might not say LED but it should give a number - when you google the number you can get other details.

thought the 15 sports came with HID"s like the limited's
If I recall correctly, the HID on the Limited was part of an option package. In Canada they were standard equipment. Sport models never had HID, even as an option.

Peter

If I recall correctly, the HID on the Limited was part of an option package. In Canada they were standard equipment. Sport models never had HID, even as an option.

Peter

That's correct only way to get HID in US was to get Limited with 302a package.

LED is the type of bulb and if you haven't been able to tell which stock blubls are LED, it likely means the color it's not the bright white 5000K-6000k, that the majority of folks look for when switching from halogens.

the manual listed a few as "LED" with no number......does this mean they aren't actually LED?

the manual listed a few as "LED" with no number......does this mean they aren't actually LED?

When you see LED listed with no number that means no bulb and the LEDs are part of a complex module with circuitry and are usually in an array. These are non replaceable units that are considered good for the life of the vehicle.

Look at your rear tail light with either the lights on or the brake pedal pressed and you will see many (like 20+) LED's light up.

2017 sport: LED only in low/fog beams & halogen on high beams! WTF FORD???

Since we purchased the 2017 sport, we love the light output of the low beam/fog lights, crisp white light.
I had noticed that with the high beams, there was a yellowish tone but was being blended with some white lights (which later I figured out was due to the LED strips.
Anyway, I walked to the front with high beams on and confirmed indeed that the high beams are halogen.
Way to go FORD! How much does that save you per unit? $40?
Are all other 2017 sports like this?
Or is mine a miss-built?

EDIT:
When I look at my window sticker is shows:
Fog lamps-LED
LED SIGNATURE LIGHTING...

Talk about false adverting..:mad2::angryfire::mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's how the 16 & 17s are. I believe 18s are LED for both low and high beam.

How long have you owned the vehicle? Did you check over and/or test drive the car before buying it? It is a pretty goofy way of Ford to do lighting (mixing LED and non-LED), but I'm not sure it rises to the level of false advertising. Caveat emptor...

Back