Ford offers free repairs to 1.4 Million Explorers - Exhaust | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford offers free repairs to 1.4 Million Explorers - Exhaust

My Sport is going in tomorrow for the CO concerns fix..... hope the smell goes away.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My Sport is going in tomorrow for the CO concerns fix..... hope the smell goes away.

Bigtexan99, curious to hear how it went. I too have a '16 Sport and got the letter the other day.

Does anyone know the dealer procedure to do the fixes? Do they have to take the rear bumper cover off?

Chartquist, the Sport has had the CO fix applied yesterday, but I don't get the car back till next Wed as they found other stuff to do to it. Will post up when I drive it.

My vehicle is at the local Ford dealer today for multipoint inspection, oil change, tire rotation and the 17N03 exhaust gas/carbon monoxide repair, I will report back to this forum soon with an update.

TB

Picked up my 2014 Limited today after dealer performed the 17N03 Field Service Action. Reprogrammed the HVAC module, sealed any holes, ports on underside and back of vehicle. Initial test seems to have solved the problem. More info to follow.

TB

Took the Explorer down to Phoenix over the weekend with some hard acceleration, coming back up the mountain to Prescott, no evidence of the smell I've had in the past.

TB

That's great news TB! I saw a tech doing the repair today (not on mine) and got to handle the original louvered air flaps that are on the side of the car underneath the bumper clip. Those things are flimsy! It's no wonder they were possibly letting air back in. The new drain flaps on the underside edge of the liftgate are also much more solid. I think my Sport will be ready end of day tomorrow or Wednesday so I'll have my update soon.

Does someone who has had the fix done, and the HVAC reprogram applied know if the car automatically switches back to RECIRC after it has been opened by the reprogrammed operating conditions of do you manually have to push the RECIRC button yourself to close it?

I’m sure it reverts itself, or everyone would be salty.

It’s probably nothing to worry about. If you are concerned throw a CO meter in the car for piece of mind.
Had a great trip, and the Explorer performed flawlessly, except that the gas mileage wasn't all that great. Admittedly most of the driving was done at 75 to 80 MPH or better, and in the mountains sometimes as well. The trip totaled 2700 miles, and the computer shows 17.9 mpg. Probably would have achieved 18 except that on the way home, and needing some rest, the car ran with the heat on for about 3 hours during naptime (with windows cracked, of course). The only noticeable exhaust odors were diesel smells which did come through the a/c system, but that is nothing new. Still going to take the car in for the service, but am much less worried than before.

Glad to hear you had a safe trip!

I read somewhere about how Ford is modifying the exhaust outlets to point down or something on the theory that the exhaust pipe tips are to close to the rear of the bumper and gases are getting trapped in there at deceleration.

I wonder how hard it would be to temporarily attach a 2 foot straight extension to the end of the tailpipes and go for a test drive and see if the rotten eggs smell has gone away.

Millions of other SUV’s have exhaust tips in the same location as the Explorers’.
The smell (plus CO) is coming from under the hood, and being sucked into the interior through the ventilation system.
Ford is dancing around, not telling the real truth about the source!
PEOPLE- these are newer cars with stainless steel exhaust systems! I still have the original, no-rust system on my ‘05 with 180k on it!
I suspect the real problem is cracked exhaust manifolds, which are not cheap, nor easy to replace....just another manufacturer taking the easy way out!

Millions of other SUV’s have exhaust tips in the same location as the Explorers’.
The smell (plus CO) is coming from under the hood, and being sucked into the interior through the ventilation system.
Ford is dancing around, not telling the real truth about the source!
PEOPLE- these are newer cars with stainless steel exhaust systems! I still have the original, no-rust system on my ‘05 with 180k on it!
I suspect the real problem is cracked exhaust manifolds, which are not cheap, nor easy to replace....just another manufacturer taking the easy way out!
Although not all but an increasing number have had the 'smell' disappear by the current 'fix' of sealing the back end. I also don't see offering to fix 1.4 million vehicles as just "dancing around". Some exhaust may indeed be coming from the engine bay due to an issue there, I suspect that number is very small. I haven't had the issue in either of my Explorers and haven't found anyone around here yet that has.

Peter

Got my Sport back 2 days ago after the CO concerns fix was completed. Have done multiple hard acceleration runs that previously caused the rotten egg / sulfur smell. Pleased to report that I have not had the smell since the fix was completed.

I just had the voluntary recall done on my 17 XLT. The report only mentioned the rear hatch seal and reprogramming of the A/C (haven't had any of the other TSBs done previous). My problem was never terrible, but it was definitely noticeable at times and gave me a headache a few times. The changes seem to have helped. The exhaust issue was always worse in warmer weather, and it was warm-ish (over 80) when I left the dealership.

I went WOT a few times on the way home (merging onto highway and then to pass others) and didn't notice any exhaust smell. I had Max A/C on with recirculate and also had the rear A/C on high. You can tell when the recirculate is turned off automatically with the reprogram since the air power isn't as strong (same as when you manually turn off recirculate). The light on the recirculate button doesn't turn off when it does this, and it automatically adjusts back once you aren't going WOT.

I'll have to wait for the weather to get into the 90s and 100s before I make my final judgement, but it's looking good so far.

I had the voluntary recall performed om my MY 2016 a couple of weeks ago.
I've never had any issues, but my Service Manager recommended it, to ensure I don't have future issues.

Just had this done on mine. The exhaust inside at WOT would always give me a headache. The seals do absolutely NOTHING to fix the problem. It is only corrected by the a/c recirculate being turned to outside air by the new programing. Now with the recirculate off I smell the exhaust from all the other cars in front of me.

Just had this done on mine. The exhaust inside at WOT would always give me a headache. The seals do absolutely NOTHING to fix the problem. It is only corrected by the a/c recirculate being turned to outside air by the new programing. Now with the recirculate off I smell the exhaust from all the other cars in front of me.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Just had mine done as well as the seat bolt recall. No problems with either. Haven't had any issues with exhaust but if I thought there was I'd get a portable monitor just to make sure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have no idea if this is an issue on mine. My ford pass app says I have a notice on it. I don't experience any symptoms but I have a 5 month old. Guess I'll go in and have whatever fix needs to be done, done.

Back