Ford Ranger with a clutch problem. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Ranger with a clutch problem.

Here is another possibility. I know of one Ranger that had this problem for a long time. He decided to replace the M/C and in the process of doing it, he discovered the bulkhead that the M/C attaches to was cracked. This was flexing when the clutch pedal was pushed in resulting in only partial disengagement. He repaired/reinforced the bulkhead and after reinstalling the M/C it work perfectly.

The pilot bearing can also drag which can seems like only partial disengagement of the clutch.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

have 01 ranger with the trans basicaly dead only have first second and reverse. my question is the is there any way to remove the line from the transmission with out the plastic bushing to push in to relaese it. thanks

Your prob going to want a new clutch and slave. Go ahead and get the slave, it will have the plastic piece in the box, which you can borrow for the time being to get the old one off

My clutch pedal has been screwy for a while. It worked fine for short distances but if you drove it more than a few miles the pedal would almost become impossible to press. Today that happened as I was pulling into my driveway and I pressed down really hard. I heard a small pop and now my pedal is really really loose and i cannot shift into any gear at all. I am a pipe fitter at a shipyard and not a mechanic and I would appreciate any advise I can get! My truck is a Mazda B2500 Thanks

Check your clutch reservoir under the hood, screwed into the firewall. It is probably empty and you probably blew your slave.

I found changing the clutch to be surprisingly easy. It does require lots of tools, extensions and elbows are especially helpful. Unfortunately, the first go around is tedious, as things have rusted and corroded, and you are simply trying to figure it out. I got a Haynes manual and had the tranny out in two days of taking-my-time work (not counting the episode with the V6 Y-pipe that you won't have). Had it back together in another day. Now I can get the tranny out in 3 hours or less and have it back in in about half that (a body lift is a miracle worker on the V6). If you have the time and the will it will work out. Otherwise, be prepared to bend over at a mechanic because the slave is inside the bellhousing. Replace as much as you can afford while in there because it is a pain to go back in for a $5 part.

Check your clutch reservoir under the hood, screwed into the firewall. It is probably empty and you probably blew your slave.

I found changing the clutch to be surprisingly easy. It does require lots of tools, extensions and elbows are especially helpful. Unfortunately, the first go around is tedious, as things have rusted and corroded, and you are simply trying to figure it out. I got a Haynes manual and had the tranny out in two days of taking-my-time work (not counting the episode with the V6 Y-pipe that you won't have). Had it back together in another day. Now I can get the tranny out in 3 hours or less and have it back in in about half that (a body lift is a miracle worker on the V6). If you have the time and the will it will work out. Otherwise, be prepared to bend over at a mechanic because the slave is inside the bellhousing. Replace as much as you can afford while in there because it is a pain to go back in for a $5 part.

Thanks I will try and change the slave. Have a good one!

Just fixed mine

2002 five speed. Replaced the pedal assembly. Old one was binding and making noises, and real stiff. New one was 99 dollars and fifty for my mechanic. Feels like a new car, so smooth and effortless. Money well spent. Jim:rangerred:

Found out its my patsbsyatem screwing things up

Its truly sad what Ford and Chevy have done with these slave cylinders. Not only is it a huge chore to replace them. but the quality of the part is so bad that you have to plan on replacing them every year. Im on my third one in 50k miles. Replacing it while doing the clutch every 3 years or so wouldn't be so bad. but 3 times in 50k miles? REALLY! and lets get past the slave issue. its amazing what you have to change instrument cluster bulbs!

I have been a ford guy for 40 years. My first ford was a 68 mustang. Sweet times in that baby. and I love the ford ranger because its A.NOT A CHEVY! and B.Its the perfect size for my every daily mobile repair business.

HEY FORD! get it together!

I found I like the 05+ mustang slave cylinder with the M5OD. The only way I was able to bleed my clutch was pulling the clutch master cylinder apart so it could fill up with fluid then put it back together.

Not only is it a huge chore to replace them. but the quality of the part is so bad that you have to plan on replacing them every year. Im on my third one in 50k miles. Replacing it while doing the clutch every 3 years or so wouldn't be so bad. but 3 times in 50k miles? REALLY!

Did you use a slave from Ford, or from a parts store? I always hear about parts store slaves failing quickly.

I found I like the 05+ mustang slave cylinder with the M5OD. The only way I was able to bleed my clutch was pulling the clutch master cylinder apart so it could fill up with fluid then put it back together.

Be interesting to hear more info on this! How did you come to even try that? Is it a beefier part in some way? Did you need to switch to a Mustang hydraulic line? Etc.

Be interesting to hear more info on this! How did you come to even try that? Is it a beefier part in some way? Did you need to switch to a Mustang hydraulic line? Etc.

I used hydraulic line with AN fittings on each end. You can buy the new and old style ends that fit the master and slave cylinder. I came up with this idea when I did a T5 swap in a 4.0 aerostar. As far as a beefier part, it would allow you to you a good aftermarket unit.

Josh, are you saying that the mustang uses an M50D transmission? I thought its a light duty trans. why would ford use it in a mustang?

Josh, are you saying that the mustang uses an M50D transmission? I thought its a light duty trans. why would ford use it in a mustang?

No, I'm saying with the right parts you can use the Mustang slave with the M5OD

Back