I need help with a clutch pack for my 05 IRS Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I need help with a clutch pack for my 05 IRS Explorer

tundrawolf

Reaction score
I have been looking for a clutch pack for a 2005 Ford Explorer with IRS. I have been told it is an 8.8 (Is this true?) and when I ask if a clutch pack for an 8.8 will work, I am told it is for a straight axle unit only. Ford wants $300 for a clutch pack, because it also comes with the spider gears.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The standard 8.8 friction kit should work fine.

The one that comes with the side gears won't work with both as the IRS has the gears machined differently.

Thank you for the replies. If the standard 8.8 will work, the people who own this vehicle are willing to invest in a very good (Carbon?) clutch pack.

Carbon clutches won't hurt but also won't help if you ask me. How do you know it's the clutches?

It has a bad shudder when turning. So the person who told me their clutch pack is only for a solid rear axle was mistaken? The kit they were talking about was only the clutch, no gears.

Back