Ford SHO in a '99 Ranger any suggestions... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford SHO in a '99 Ranger any suggestions...

nofortunatesonII

Reaction score
I found a Ford SHO engine in a salvage yard I can purchase for $150. I have a '99 Ranger 3.0L and was considering eventually replacing or modifying the 3.0L for more HP. From what I have read the SHO is rated at 220 hp which is substantially more than my 3.0L Anyone know of anyone who has ever done this swap. I believe the bellhousing should bolt up, but what about engine compartment size, the SHO intake set-up is quite large.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_SHO_V6_engine

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wow very interesting. if you follow through with the idea make sure you get a computer and the wireing harness.

i thought the sho was front wheel drive?

ok, i looked it up. you can use AOD, T5, awesome! do it! What part of the country are you in?

yeah, the SHO fits right up to the trans, but motor mounts and accessory drive is left to be solved. Also, what SHO is it? The V8's aren't what I would spring for.. I'd love to see some one do it!

SHO Motor in Ranger 99

I am attempting this project myself as we speak. I have a 2000 mustang v6 T5 bolted to a custom adapter bolted to an aerostar bellhousing.

The slave cylinder is aerostar.

The problem i am having is the crossmember clearance and steering linkage clearance.

Looks like i will have to shave the heaterbox which is not a big deal but the steering linkage needs to be pushed over towards the drivers side at least 2 inches for header clearance.

If this darn cross member wasnt so MASSIVE....i think i would be golden.

IF anyone has any more input on this or has done it yet....let me know......

BTW, this is not the twin traction beam ranger....this one has the steering rack in it.

Thanks in advance

Frank Costa
Roselle NJ

Bump....

I signed up for this thread. Just picked up a 95 saturday with 58k miles. Anyone still on the project?

oil pan would probably have to be custom made to clear the crossmember id assume

Ya, I thought the same(For shorages ap). Maybe a rear sump. The stock pan is odd imo.
Transmission adaptation is my concern though.

i just bought an 86 ranger that needs a trans..i just happen to have a 93 sho i could get the motor and stuff out of..one thing i was wondering though is could i do it and still keep an auto trans? haven't been able to find much info thanks

Back