Forgot to put '99 Explorer in park. Sprung driver's door hinge. Is it the hinge or the frame? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Forgot to put '99 Explorer in park. Sprung driver's door hinge. Is it the hinge or the frame?

So, I know I'm not the first to post about this and I have a general idea of what's going on. I pulled into a gas station and I guess the parking brake didn't engage or I just plain forgot, but it rolled back with the driver's side door open, hitting a concrete halfwall thing. It wrenched the door back pretty far, and it wouldn't close. I ended up just putting a couple washers behind the latch so it would close, which it does, but not easily. Also, there's about a half inch gap between the edge of the door and the frame. And considering that my heater isn't working (front blower needs replaced) and I'm in Wyoming, it kinda sucks. I looked and the hinges are obviously bent (I could hear metal groan when it happened). It kinda looks like the frame might be bent too. I was wondering if I could get away with just replacing the hinges, or if it would need to go to a body shop. Which isn't ideal cuz if I could afford to take it to one, I probably wouldn't still be driving the same I car I had when I was 17. For the record I don't know s*** about cars so sorry if I sound stupid. But, Im a welder and have a fair assortment of tools and if I could somehow bend the frame back or even sledgehammer it and grind it (probably a stupid idea) or something I will. Also, I talked to AutoZone and they had the hinges, the top was like $20 but the bottom was like $200 but I don't see why I need the whole mechanism on the bottom when I'm pretty sure most of the hinge I have now is fine, it's just bent on the outside. So could I just get 2 top hinges and just replace the side of the hinge that attaches to the door? If not, I'll probably just go to picknpull or something. Anyway thanks, I'm kinda lost in these situations.
N6zdedY_d.jpg

Bottom hinge
BAVAB5x_d.jpg

Top hinge

Also, if anyone knows any McGuyver type tricks to bend everything back so it fits I'm open to suggestions.

8 times out of ten, all three are compromised.

That said I am not seeing much deformation in the pillar, and only a little bit in the door.

I would use only real Ford hinges if the dealership doesn't have them a pick and pull will do fine. I would toss on some hinges and see what you get. It can only get better. It might be just enough that you can live with it. Othersiwe the door repair is pretty involved, and the pillar repair is WAY involved. If you are a religious person, pray it is not the pillar.

Let me know if I can help any further.

Back