• Register Today It's free!

Forscan changes for larger tires?

DHG2496

Reaction score
City, State
Fruitport, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
14 Explorer PIU 3.5EB
Hey everyone, has anyone adjusted their tire size using Forscan? I know it's in the master spreadsheet and I recall seeing it in the options to pick your tire size but i also know manually changing the values vs the as-built easy method can work better at times. Just wondering if anyone has tried either and which method you used successfully. The forscan sheet claims this adjustment will compensate the Speedo accordingly so just trying to get the tires/speedo to match if I alter the size a bit, even if it's only off by a less than 2% uncorrected, just seems like a good idea if I can keep them aligned.

Also before anyone warns me about staying in the accepted variance, which I see on just about every tire/wheel thread here, I'm looking at tires within the normal accepted range of a few %, but considering just a little more sidewall and it opens up a few more tire options and in some cases lower prices. I noticed that comparing the PIU profile to the regular explorers it looked like the 18" tires on the XLT were a little bit bigger profile at 245/60/18 vs 245/55/18 and also the Sport's 20" tires too at 255/50/20. I'm also moving to 19x8.5 wheels, so probably jumping to a 255, so I know if I pick a size tire that isn't equal to one of the stock tires, that I will for sure have to use the manual entry part of Forscan to enter the correct value.

Just keep in mind that changing the tire size also affects the operation of the Traction Control and ABS. Some model years had the option of selecting pre-programmed sizes in the software settings that were comparable to the OEM size.

Peter

Just keep in mind that changing the tire size also affects the operation of the Traction Control and ABS. Some model years had the option of selecting pre-programmed sizes in the software settings that were comparable to the OEM size.

Peter
Yep. This is why I was trying to match the overall diameter of something that was available so I could use those settings. I’ve seen them in Forscan but don’t see them in the PIU. So that is also why I was asking if PIU owners have tried to use this setting and had success.

Back