• Register Today It's free!

Shifter Needed for Larger Tires?

Hermz

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
So I bought a 5.5" superlift, and some 33" tires. After installation 3000. But then I take it to the shop and they want to replace the wheel barrings and ball joints which is another 1150!!! So I'm wondering if I should get a new shifter kit so that it doesnt wear out my new transmission cuz I dont want to pay 1800 again for that. Thanks. 94 explorer v6 if it helps. dont know what tires the car can handle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what is the gear ratio? that is going to matter a lot....

are you talking about a shift kit? improvement kit?

balljoints and wheel bearings doesnt cost $1150!!!!!!
you are getting ripped off..... there isnt too much in parts cost... and what are they doing? charging you a weeks worth of labor?! damn, i work at a tire place that does work like that, and $1150 will pay my wages for a month!!!!

They are trying to take you for a ride. There probobly isn't much you can do to make the trans more reliable. They are a light duty unit that doesn't hold up to abuse. The best thing you can do is be easy on it an d keep the fluid clean. I don't think I would get a shift kit(if that what you were talking about)I had one put in when they rebuilt mine and I don't really like it.

New Napa upper front ball joints $91/Pair
New Napa lower front ball joints $105/Pair
Wheel bearings shouldn't be more that $20 each at worst.

Total parts.....Under $300. Ain't no way labor should be 800 for that job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! With the proper tools they should be able to do that job in under 5 hours.

Labor came out to 650$ :(

Back