• Register Today It's free!

Found a part wth is it?

Bjl8691

Reaction score
City, State
Racine
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 sport/2000 302 mount
I was dropping the trans pan on my 2000 4r70w and I found this at the bottom of the pan what is it and where does it go it has a part number on it but it's no legible to make out any ideas what this is and where this is supposed to go? Looks like a factory dipstick tube plug prior to factory trans fill and initial dipstick insertion but I can't recall if that's what it is or not I've always sucked the fluid out on this particular ex with my machine thru the dipstick tube and refilled but I got a new filter and pan with drain plug thats going in now it has to be the factory tube plug my memory isn't the best thing however

Attachments

• 15943429715408142217217631871300.jpg
    15943429715408142217217631871300.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 1594343010501235900362658311245.jpg
    1594343010501235900362658311245.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 15943430279977706424578344816537.jpg
    15943430279977706424578344816537.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 66

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You're correct on it being a plug it gets knocked into the pan when the dip stick tube is installed, but it's always fun to tell the young newbie technicians that they might have just ruined a transmission :)

You're correct on it being a plug it gets knocked into the pan when the dip stick tube is installed, but it's always fun to tell the young newbie technicians that they might have just ruined a transmission :)
Haha yes i knew it but my memory got lost somewhere on I-94 years ago so I wasn't 100%

Technicians also call it the cherry because when you find one you know the transmission has never had it's pan off.

Technicians also call it the cherry because when you find one you know the transmission has never had it's pan off.
Interesting you say that there was a aftermarket filter on it when I dropped the pan it had the stant "S" on it so it was obviously changed by someone that didn't have a clue or overlooked some how by some hack

I was dropping the trans pan on my 2000 4r70w and I found this at the bottom of the pan what is it and where does it go it has a part number on it but it's no legible to make out any ideas what this is and where this is supposed to go? Looks like a factory dipstick tube plug prior to factory trans fill and initial dipstick insertion but I can't recall if that's what it is or not I've always sucked the fluid out on this particular ex with my machine thru the dipstick tube and refilled but I got a new filter and pan with drain plug thats going in now it has to be the factory tube plug my memory isn't the best thing however
Congratulations on dropping the pan -- better at age twenty than never! It is, indeed the factory plug.

That would be the factory trans plug. The factory just pushed it into the trans pan when installing the transmission. Doesn't hurt anything and should have been thrown out during the first trans service.

LoL. We have a lot of fun with that one at work. I don't know how far the "mystery" part goes back as far as FoMoCo goes but we have found the in 1964 and 1965 C-4 transmissions. I've heard tales of old service stations leaving them in the pan because they do or don't know what it is.
Uh oh I just said a word that many on here may not know what it is... "Service Station".:cool:

LoL. We have a lot of fun with that one at work. I don't know how far the "mystery" part goes back as far as FoMoCo goes but we have found the in 1964 and 1965 C-4 transmissions. I've heard tales of old service stations leaving them in the pan because they do or don't know what it is.
Uh oh I just said a word that many on here may not know what it is... "Service Station".:cool:

LOL. Who here is old enough to remember when you went to a "service station" and had someone pump your gas for you (NJ residents not withstanding), clean your windshield, check your oil and tire pressures?

WWHHHHOOOOAAAA I remember a dude making me find the
gas cap behind the tail light! Boy he and his date chuckled.

Would you like me to check the air and oil too?
That's where "us" guys started.....

So yes I remember.

WWHHHHOOOOAAAA I remember a dude making me find the
gas cap behind the tail light! Boy he and his date chuckled.

Would you like me to check the air and oil too?
That's where "us" guys started.....

So yes I remember.

Ahhh, old mid 50's Chevy's and Cadillac's... fun times.

Bud Jensen owned the Skelly station in my old town he was a heavy smoker and would be smoking while he filled your car up, he would be smoking and would have a 2" cherry hanging off the end and would be chatting with you all at the same time!!

Those were the "good 'ole days". In the '60s I started push mowing the yard when I was 8 years old and mowers and a lot of other tools didn't have all of the safety this and safety that stuff all over it. Times were simpler back then.

Those were the "good 'ole days". In the '60s I started push mowing the yard when I was 8 years old and mowers and a lot of other tools didn't have all of the safety this and safety that stuff all over it. Times were simpler back then.

Don't get me started on government mandated "safety" equipment. Common sense is not that common anymore. I ended up bypassing all of the stupid "safety" switches on my lawn tractor because they were just a pain in the ass. My favorite one was the one that required you to push a button in order to reverse with the blades spinning. If you tried to backup with the blades engaged it with immediately disengage the electric PTO clutch. WTF? I don't know how many times you need to reverse when cutting your grass, but I'd guess I have to do it at least a dozen times. Also, I've now modified all my plastic fuel containers to have vents and longer flexible necks to make them usable and quick. I think all the mandated safety equipment is just interfering with Darwinism. Not everyone is meant to survive and allowing these people to survive just breeds more stupid people.

Don't get me started on government mandated "safety" equipment. Common sense is not that common anymore. I ended up bypassing all of the stupid "safety" switches on my lawn tractor because they were just a pain in the ass. My favorite one was the one that required you to push a button in order to reverse with the blades spinning. If you tried to backup with the blades engaged it with immediately disengage the electric PTO clutch. WTF? I don't know how many times you need to reverse when cutting your grass, but I'd guess I have to do it at least a dozen times. Also, I've now modified all my plastic fuel containers to have vents and longer flexible necks to make them usable and quick. I think all the mandated safety equipment is just interfering with Darwinism. Not everyone is meant to survive and allowing these people to survive just breeds more stupid people.

Reminds me of one of my favorite modern movies, "Idiocracy."

Speaking of the little plug, did you ever replace the screen on
a C-4 and what little ball?
Years ago yes the debates in the shop got interesting after 15 minutes

I see idiotic things in my shop daily when did common sense become a minority thought process?

Back