Found Parts in oil pan...timing chain guide? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Found Parts in oil pan...timing chain guide?

Schaeff58

Reaction score
City, State
md
Year, Model & Trim Level
none yet
I dont own any Fords currently (but have owned several), but I am working on a 2001 Explorer Sport Track. It has 250k plus on the clock, and I am afraid with what I found in the oil pan it may be about out of time. This belongs to a friend of my wife"s and I am doing this as a favor.. (should have said no) to her. I have done a great deal of work to this truck. All new suspension parts, brakes all around, valve cover gaskets, and oil pan and tranny gaskets...

In doing the the oil pan, I found parts that look like they came from the timing chain guides. Some bakelite, and a metal angle bracket that looks like it part of the guide...

My question is does this sound the death knell for this vehicle or should I tell her to be for warned that the end is near.

It still has an unidentified coolant leak.... I dont think its a head gasket, so I will have it a day or two longer...
Thanks for any insight you can give, I am not sure she is interested in a motor at this point... I am leaning on just letting her run it and see what happens...

IMG_6512.jpg

IMG_6512.jpg

IMG_6513 (1).jpg

Back