• Register Today It's free!

Frame ground strap

Kjhadfield

Reaction score
City, State
Panama City Beach, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 sport trac 4wd
So I was doing more expecting on my body mounts when I decided to give the ground strap (corroded green) a slight tug, then it crumbled. You can see the 1 end slightly in the photo above that plastic cover. Which brings my question, what is that plastic cover protecting (this is on the drivers side)? Can this be easily pulled without breaking

Also you see the end of the ground strap and the rust surrounding it, can I clean the area up and reuse the hole or do I need to drill into a new location?

Thanks for the suggestions

F00F5F54-6A5E-4D13-952A-A59AB1F74807_zpsngmjks7o.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There's a wiring junction under it, you can just pop it off with a screwdriver and pop it back on when done replacing the ground strap. Just put the screwdriver under the edge of the cover close to the clips.

Thanks

I'm guessing the 2 holes are the clips. Does it look like I can reuse the ground location or what is the rule of thumb regarding grounds and rust

As long as the metal is thick enough to grind down the rust and clean up the cable/clip than you're good to go but I would drill a hole over where it's not rusty, sand down the metal for good contact, clean or replace the ground cable and clip. These can cause electrical nightmares if left in attended.

Thanks, I was definitely going to put a new strap but I'll just drill a new hole for good metal contact. I'm sure it's been like this for awhile, gone unnoticed, It just crumbled. I've read about grounds causing weird issues, replaced a severed strap for hood a little while ago.

I use a small, short bristled wire wheel on a drill to strip the paint/rust where the new ground hole is going. Works quick and can even clean up an old ground eyelet if need be.

Crimped-Wire-Wheel-Brushes-with-Shank.jpg

^ Great cheap tool, especially to remove rust or Loctite from bolt threads. Protective eye wear is a MUST when using them.

Does it need to be that gold color wire or will silver color work too? I picked up a 6 pack various sizes at harbor freight for I think 4.99 last weekend. I figured I'd try that for my rusty rockers and body mount hardware, I suppose anything rusty. What drill setting should I use or does that not matter

Ground eyelet? Is that the connector on the ends of wires, in this case ground strap

Yes, silver works too. The first image from Google was of a gold one so I used that.

I did mean ground eyelet as in the ends of the ground strap. I have cleaned up and re-assembled more than enough on grounds to find that it fixes mysterious electrical stuff that's going on.

Generally wire wheel both the steel in that immediate area, the eyelet on the ground strap/wire, and re-assemble with some dielectric grease and you're good for many more years.

Good advice about the safety glasses too - it hurts to get the bits of wire that fling out in your skin, let alone what it must feel like in your eyes.

I usually run my drill on the fastest setting and light pressure.

Could this affect the power going to the fuel pump I changed fuel pump fuel filter now I have no power going to fuel pump do I have to go through all wiring harnesses

Yes.

Could this affect the power going to the fuel pump I changed fuel pump fuel filter now I have no power going to fuel pump do I have to go through all wiring harnesses
Broken ground strap? Did you remove the fuel pump fuse or disconnect the shut off inertia switch? Replaced or reconnected?

We checked fuses relay is good and intertia test good just don't understand why no power

Back