Fresh A4LD wont shift automatically | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fresh A4LD wont shift automatically

nismotunedgtr

Reaction score
City, State
Windham, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT 250k miles
To start my specs:

4.0 and A4LD out of a 1994 Explorer 4x4, now in my 1992 Ranger 4x4.

Runs great.

I "rebuilt" the tranny. No hard parts other than servos needed replacement.

I replaced ALL seals and gaskets. Installed the Sonnax boost valve, A4LD junior shift kit, FORD servos, reman converter, upgraded rear sprag races, and the larger Sonnax governor weight.

ALL specs were in line, bands have been checked 3 times.

I replaced the vacuum modulator with a known working one from a 2.3.

I get reverse instantly, first in OD / D / or 1.

In OD / D I get first and nothing more. I can manually shift 1-2.

If I hold 2 until 50mph and put it in OD I get lockup and overdrive.

I tried without the kickdown cable hooked up, also tried without the shift linkage (thought adjustment could be the problem).

I pulled the governor, it was sticking MAYBE. Polished it and put it back in. No difference. Governor only has 1 spring, not two.

I'm lost, and need this thing on the road asap. Girlfriends not enjoying her Supra in the snow....

Thanks guys for any help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's possible that something might not be correct in the valve body. Did you use a 1/4" drive In/Lb torque wrench on the valve body bolts? Did you take pressure readings of each gear setting with a 0-300 PSI test gauge?

I hesitate to say anything, I'm not coming down on you. I have made the same mistake of using old parts in rebuilds and learned the heard way that reusing old parts to save a few bucks is simply not worth the trouble. I tried to reuse a "polished" governor and ended up putting a new one it to solve my problems. I just wouldn't use used parts for a rebuild. It just makes it that much more difficult to trouble shoot in the end.

Sorry I don't have anything better for you. I would replace the governor and vacuum modulator with new. At least then you can rule them out.

Yes, I torqued according to the specs in the ATSG. I am unable to afford a set of gauges to take pressure readings.

I made sure everything in the valve body was clean and moved smoothly.

Is it normal for the governor weight to rest away from the output shaft? I'm suspecting the governor still.

Governor , sprag or valvebody concern.

I hesitate to say anything, I'm not coming down on you. I have made the same mistake of using old parts in rebuilds and learned the heard way that reusing old parts to save a few bucks is simply not worth the trouble. I tried to reuse a "polished" governor and ended up putting a new one it to solve my problems. I just wouldn't use used parts for a rebuild. It just makes it that much more difficult to trouble shoot in the end.

Sorry I don't have anything better for you. I would replace the governor and vacuum modulator with new. At least then you can rule them out.

I know exactly what you are saying. What bothers me is the tranny was fine in the wrecked Explorer it came out of, except lack of 4th. (servo cracked). But now the governor is suspect.

Ford says the body, spring, and valve are all obsolete?

If your governor weight it already stuck where it would be if centrifugation force overcame the spring pressure and it's not actually moving, as Adam would say "There's your problem!"

Awesome! I was suspecting it should rest against the output shaft because the spring. Thanks!

Ninja edit:

Which one of the governors from WIT is the correct one? Don't want the vehicle immobile.... And does it come with the spring and valve?

THANKS!

It should come as a complete assembly. I don't know which one is the correct one, but you could send them an email. I know that the best way to match it up is to remove it before ordering a new part, but then you have to work twice on the same thing.

Back