Front ABS Sensor for 1996 2wd.

Spartan

Reaction score
City, State
Sun Prairie WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT, 5.0 2WD
Greetings,

I need to replace BOTH front ABS sensors for a 2 wheel drive explorer with the 5.0. I see that rock auto FINALLY lists a front sensor from Standard Motor Products (P/N ALS168) but its almost 80 bucks. I looked at a 2WD 1998, and I see a sensor that PHYSICALLY looks the exact same, the DORMAN 970281. These sensors look the same, down to the connector and the mounting tabs.... but its only 25 bucks.

Can I use the later model 2wd ABS sensors on my 1996 2wd, or do I need to shell out the cash for the 1996-7 specific ones?

Ive searched all over, and cannot find any answer to this question.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Greetings,

I need to replace BOTH front ABS sensors for a 2 wheel drive explorer with the 5.0. I see that rock auto FINALLY lists a front sensor from Standard Motor Products (P/N ALS168) but its almost 80 bucks. I looked at a 2WD 1998, and I see a sensor that PHYSICALLY looks the exact same, the DORMAN 970281. These sensors look the same, down to the connector and the mounting tabs.... but its only 25 bucks.

Can I use the later model 2wd ABS sensors on my 1996 2wd, or do I need to shell out the cash for the 1996-7 specific ones?

Ive searched all over, and cannot find any answer to this question.

Do you have the original sensor you pulled out if the unit? what do the parts numbers say? unless your looking at a mounting issue the sensors operate the same way.

The part numbers ARE different. However, the sensors are identical, from the mounting tabs to the connectors. My theory was if they mount up and are the same physically as the origonal sensors, they shoild work... they are just simple hall effect sensors.

Are they different lengths?

I've looked up both part numbers online, (The 95-97, and 98+) and they are the same length.

If they really are physically the same I can't see why they'd be different part numbers.

I've read on other threads they it's possible it was due to Ford changing the PN for the 98+ sensor. Of course, the aftermarket companies get their application guide from the oem, so that's possibly why the newer sensor number doesn't cross to the older application, even if it's the same part. I've seen this before on 83-88 thunderbird turbo coupes on a couple different parts.

Back