• Register Today It's free!

Front axle lube change

foxx

Reaction score
City, State
minn
Year, Model & Trim Level
"01 explorer sport
Hello,I have a 2001 explorer sport.I'm trying to see what is the ez way to change the lube in the front carrier,the door sticker says I have a D4 axle . must be for the back axle.I was told it must be a dana 35 up front? but it is in a tite space, is there a drain plug or bolt on the casing? I see theres a bracket support on it that the lower bolt is quite long in to it, any ideas other than removing the cover? THX TIM

Ok, first, You have a limited slip diff in the back (3.73 gear ratio), yes you have a dana 35 (IFS) in the front (also a 3.73 ratio). Basically the first thing you need to do is try to get the fill plug out of the assembly. No sense in draining a differential you can't refill. Also, this is the easiest way to change the lube, get a suction pump and pump out the front lube thru the fill plug. Don't try to take the front cover off unless you are prepared to remove the entire front axle/differential assembly from the truck. There isn't any way to replace the cover as there is not enough room.

Back