front axle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

front axle

NedFlanders

Reaction score
I just looked underneath my truck this weekend while my girlfriend was driving it and I noticed that even though it was in 2wd the front axle(between the trans and front diff) was rotating. Is this normal? As far as I've understood there should be some kind of magnetic clutch or something diskonecting it from the trans. and the autohubs should disconnect it from the wheels. Is there something wrong with my hubs or something or is this normal? If it's normal, what's then the point in disconnecting from the trans. if it's still beeing dragged around by the wheels?

I also heard some kind of grinding noice and the truck didn't move at all when I stopped after using 4low, switched to auto4X4, and then continued to back up(or atleas tried to). put it into drive, drove a couple of feet forward, and then back into rev. and it worked fine.. I have not had this problem eighter before of after. Could this have something to do with the axle spinnin(worn parts etc.?), or is this just that I was a bit quick, and the trans. didn't have the time to "connect" the normalrange after using the lowrange?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Rune,
Your 1996 Explorer does not have auto hubs. Your wheels are directly connected to the front axles and they in turn are connected to the differential which is connected to the front drive shaft which is connected to the transfercase. All 95+ ,models do this. I can't help you on the grinding noise, sorry

Rey
Do the auto hubs in the 91-94 Explorers unlock the tires from the axles?
Khris

thanks ray!

Since it doesn't disconnect the tires, is there any point in putting the swith in 2wd at all? I will be dragging around the whole system anyway..
But will this mean that the system is less likely to break appart while offroading? I've read some posts about switching to manual hubs, but I guess this is just for the 91-94 Xplorers then. Is there any other things that is likely to break apart in the drivetrain? Is it okay to use the auto-mode while offroading or should I switch to 4low as soon as the going gets a bit tough?

I sometimes hear some kind of "popping"sound or something(damn, this would be easier if I could explain in norwegian..), espessialy if I try to back up a hill.. mostly if in auto, but also in 4low.. is this normal? is it just the electric cluth? i'm really afraid of breaking something, cause that means I have to postphone my lift even more...
:)

Originally posted by sirhk100
Rey
Do the auto hubs in the 91-94 Explorers unlock the tires from the axles?
Khris

Khris,
Yes the wheels are disconnected from the axles.

Originally posted by NedFlanders
thanks ray!

Since it doesn't disconnect the tires, is there any point in putting the swith in 2wd at all? I will be dragging around the whole system anyway..
But will this mean that the system is less likely to break appart while offroading? I've read some posts about switching to manual hubs, but I guess this is just for the 91-94 Xplorers then. Is there any other things that is likely to break apart in the drivetrain? Is it okay to use the auto-mode while offroading or should I switch to 4low as soon as the going gets a bit tough?

I sometimes hear some kind of "popping"sound or something(damn, this would be easier if I could explain in norwegian..), espessialy if I try to back up a hill.. mostly if in auto, but also in 4low.. is this normal? is it just the electric cluth? i'm really afraid of breaking something, cause that means I have to postphone my lift even more...
:)

Rune,
If you put it in 2wd then the transfercase won't engage at all. I had a 95 before my 97 and didn't see any differance in gas milage if I had it in 4auto as opposed to 2wd. The idea is to put it in 4lo before you have to. the thing I didn't like about my 95 was you can't lock it into full time 4wd the popping you are hearing is probably the transfercase engaging the front drive. I did do some fairly tough 4wheeling with my 95 and it did hold out quite well. Don't worry.

Thanks Ray.. That's good to hear!

I don't mind not having 4hi(not that I've tried it, but I guess it isn't too different from the auto) Since the middle"differential" is still locked in 4hi, I might just as well put it in 4low, since I wouldn't drive with it locked at very much speed anyway, guess that could mess up the drivetrain pretty bad.. I mean, I still have the whole transmission in lowrange, so I could get some speed anyway.. And I like the ability to turn off the 4wd when I want to..

The 95-97 is the same, right? But what is then the change between 97 and 98?
A friend of mine has finally understood what truck is the best, and is considering getting one. When he talked to the guys at ford they told him he should go for a '98 or newer. Is it just the option of having the sohc engine that's different or is it something else?

'95-96 have 2wd, 4wd auto, and 4wd low

'97-up have 4wd auto, 4wd high, and 4wd low they also have the optional SOHC engine

'98-up fixed some problems with the cam chain tensioners in the SOHC engine

Back