• Register Today It's free!

Front Brake hose question.

MFD70

Reaction score
City, State
Merthyr Tydfil, South Wales
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer North Face
Hi, I've got a question regarding my 1999 4.0 SOHC RHD Explorer. The front right hand side brake flexible tube failed on my explorer a few months back, I got a replacement from Amazon which was apparently correct for my vehicle, but I found the angle of the rigid tube out of the banjo joint was at the wrong angle such that it fouled on the suspension at full lock right and strained the hose at full lock left. I've since tried Dorman and Raybestos hoses and they all have the wrong angle, is there anything special about RHD versions ?

Here is the original hose that fitted;
mS05_wZfb1limV3DzRszh13MEwrbri7JeI1g=w1292-h775-no.jpg

Here is the Dorman replacement;
pe0R-AwHf03vBzjhKItZ-kkSg9Fa27xPlikbQ=w436-h775-no.jpg

Notice almost 90 degree bend of rigid tube from banjo joint, this is the problem.
Any ideas, already tried the UK forum without success.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can anyone who views this let me know if my pictures are visible, I see nothing !

no pictures, just small x in a box

Here's my 99 truck, the right side with a replacement SS hose. I had that made in 2006 when I upgraded to the bigger Sport Trac rotor(requires the matching spindle).

That brake line you OP have looks just like my right brake hose. But your second picture does not display.

SportTracRotor01.JPG

PICT2440.JPG

Depending on how much slack you need, as a LAST resort the banjo fittings can be easily straightened. Went through this when I replaced stock lines with SS. Ordered stock length and failed to mention I was lowered 2.5 inches that causes the caliper to move up the same distance. Left the hoses bolted to the calipers and used channel lock pliers being careful not to damage the crimped fittings and hoses. After several trials at full steering turns got the slack that was needed. Second solution was ordering longer SS hoses from Deerfield Precision. Very easy, just take your time.
There are two solutions to this: First, you can try gently bending the banjo fitting downward where the braided stainless line enters it, so that instead of a 90 degree bend, it's closer to a 45. This should give the lines some more slack at full lock. The fittings are annealed, so they should bend without breaking

Back