• Register Today It's free!

Front Brake Pads and Rotors

Redfish

Reaction score
City, State
Hampton, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4X4
Picked up a sweet 2002 XLT 4X4 last fall. Knew I would need to change out the front rotors and pads by this summer as the rotors looked damaged. When I changed them out Saturday, the outside pad on the left front was down to the metal. The inside left pad was barely worn. On the right side, the outside pad was just about half gone, the inside right pad looked almost new. I have never seen pads wear this way. Have any of you experienced this before?
I have put on new rotors and pads and will watch for any unusual grinding, noise or vibration. Right now there is none, stops on a dime.

this usually happens when the brake pad freezes on the pad bracket you can clean this area with a wire brush and replace the brake hardware or clean it and be careful not to bend hardware and reinstall it you must remove hardware to clean caliper bracket in the area the pads slide

this usually happens when the brake pad freezes on the pad bracket you can clean this area with a wire brush and replace the brake hardware or clean it and be careful not to bend hardware and reinstall it you must remove hardware to clean caliper bracket in the area the pads slide

And use the proper brake caliper grease on the sliding metal contact surfaces.

When I installed the pads I used the new pad brackets and greased the back of the pads like you are supposed too. The other brackets were toast and not worth reviving. I will continue to watch it over the next several weeks and look for wear. Thanks for all the help.

Back