• Register Today It's free!

front brakes lock up

macho1

Reaction score
City, State
Visalia, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer Xlt
I have a 1992 explorer xlt. I recently put two new calipers and pads on the front brakes hoping that it would solve my braking problem. My front brakes seem to seize up every now and then, sometimes the right and sometimes the left. At this moment my front right tire is off and i just had a friend of mine step on the brakes while i watched what the caliper piston did. When he applied the brakes the piston extracted but when he let off the brake it stayed extracted. I was wondering if i did not bleed the brakes properly and left air inside brake lines would this cause my brakes to seize up like they have been. Any insight would be a major help. Thanks for your time.:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Air would cause a spongy pedal feel. Did you replace the rubber hoses? I have seen them fail internally and the rubber lining acts like a one way valve, holding pressure after the pedal is released. Could the master cylinder be sticking? Just a thought.

A big thanks

Air would cause a spongy pedal feel. Did you replace the rubber hoses? I have seen them fail internally and the rubber lining acts like a one way valve, holding pressure after the pedal is released. Could the master cylinder be sticking? Just a thought.

No i didn't replace the hoses but will try anything at this point. I've been wondering about the master cyclinder but i'm not sure how to check it out to see if it's my problem. Hell! this was my first time working on my front brakes, maybe my last too. Thank you so much for replying so quickly. Have a good one..:salute:

No problem, I just hope it helps. Most of the time the hoses fail and are very often overlooked. Let us know what happens.

Thanks

No problem, I just hope it helps. Most of the time the hoses fail and are very often overlooked. Let us know what happens.

I haven't checked the hoses yet, just not enough time in the day but as soon as i found out if it was the hoses or whatever it might be i'll let you know as soon as possible. Once again thank you my friend..:D

Back