2001 Explorer - front brakes locked-up after brake pad change | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Explorer - front brakes locked-up after brake pad change

4shaw5

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
I have a 2001 Explorer Sport that I have just replaced the front brake pads on. After re-assembly, when I press the brake pedal, the caliper will not release when the brake pedal is not engaged. From reading on the forum, I am concerned that when I depressed the piston in the caliper, it pushed dirty brake fluid back into the ABS system and possibly clogged a filter of some sort. Also, I did bleed the front brakes. Thanks for you help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it actually holding it locked up, unable to turn by hand or are you feeling a bit of drag, which is compeletely normal.

It is actually locked-up. Once I put everything back together the rotor's spin just fine. When I push the peddle and release, the caliper has a death grip on the rotor. The only way to release is to take the caliper off, push back in with a C-clamp and reinstall.

Is it reallt hard pressing the piston back in? did you check your slides are moving freely?

I was able to depress the pistons with normal pressure with the help of a c-clamp. I also put lube on the slides and they work with ease.

Maybe a dumb question, but are you sure the pads are in correctly??? On some vehicles, pads only fit a certain way and will hang up if reversed....

Trying to get a handle on your problem (not trying to be an a-hole):
* If the caliper has a death grip on the rotor, how are you getting it off?
* If you open the bleeder, does the caliper release its grip?

If you can push the piston back into the caliper without opening the bleeder, the ABS & Master Cyl. should be okay.

If you have to open the bleeder to push the piston in, the problem Is upstream (likely not caliper or mount.
Also, the flex hose at the wheel can collapse internally. A collapsed hose can cause a return blockage (high pressure brake ON will get by, but low pressure brake OFF will not). I cannot think of a good way to check the hose. At 9 years old, it wouldn't hurt to replace it anyway.

If you suspect the caliper is the culprit, you can try pumping the piston out as far has you can without pushing it all the way out. Then clean/polish the exposed piston to assure it slides well against the seals.

Also when it locks up, loosen the 2 nuts on the master cylinder to booster and pull it away from the booster. If the brakes release the problem is the booster

Back