Front CV Axle - Repair or Replace?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front CV Axle - Repair or Replace??

jimEMT

Reaction score
City, State
Stratford, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Eddie Bauer
Found I have a torn outer driver's side CV Boot...question comes is do I replace the boot or should I replace the axle? 130k on it. Bigger question...are there any detailed how-to's of HOW to remove the axle to repair it? I've searched the threads on here and found nothing....how intense of a job is it to do? Have to replace the upper bal joints soon, was thinking of doing it at that point.

-Jim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

replace, and its not too hard ( shouldnt be atleast ive done cv's on a few cars before) and while you do the upper BJs would be a great time

Just replaced the passenger side axle and seal this past weekend.The job wasnt to bad.Just needed a few specialty tools.Need to replace the driver side soon

Any advice or pointers based on your experience? What specialty tools do you recommend? Did you buy an OEM replacement CV or if aftermarket what brand?

I had to use a tie rod puller on the upper ball joint,hub puller to push the axle through the wheel bearing and I used a CarQuest axle.

I did mine on the driver side when I replaced the wheel bearing. Getting the upper ball joint apart was tough even with a ball joint fork. It would be a good idea to replace the axle seal while you're in there, mine started leaking a few months after because I didn't think to replace it.

I got whatever Advanced Auto sells. The nut it came with didn't have a flange on it, so I had to get a big flat washer. I found that a short, thick pry bar worked well to pop the axle out of the differential.

Using the tie rod puller on the upper ball joint made it easy.Changing the seal is a good idea and also the sway bar link.

Back